I had everything on the Zephyr unit working but I was not happy with the
outdoor temperature. Mounted on the pole, the sensor got too much sun and
it would read high. So, I re-did everything.
Instead of the wood strip with the metal on top, I used a 10' length of 3/4"
tubing as was used by Red Green. I mounted that against my deck rail with
some straps and a block of wood drilled for the tubing and screwed into the
deck. That gives me a total height of about 12' of the pole, plus the 8'
height of the deck. Thee is a bit of sway so I'm going to keep an eye on it
in strong winds. At that height, it may need a backer of a wood strip to
stop the flexing.
Rainfall readings won't change, but the wind speed and direction may be a
bit more realistic, but I'm not about to cut down 100 trees to get
perfection. The temperature gauge is mounted on the side of the deck out of
the sun. At 8" high, it should not be affected by the thermal mass of the
Forgot to mention, the wind direction module has the compass points marked
on it. The first time I did not see them, but I managed to get it accurate
by dumb luck. I still may be off a few degrees, but considering the
location, it is close enough. The things you learns after reading the
The software is installed, but I've not done much with it yet. It does have
historical data for all the features so it may be handy for rainfall. While
not life changing, it will also tell me the high and low temperatures for
the day. At times I'm curious how low it goes in the winter.