Wather station

My Zephyr weather station arrived today. PWS1000-TDx

The "x" model is much cheaper because of a blemish on the bezel. I can find a spot the size of a pin head that is not perfect if I really look hard.

I took about an hour to get the parts sorted out and assembled. The sensors are all mounted on an included pole that gets mounted atop your own mast. Parts fill together well and everything worked. You have 45 seconds to get the batteries in the base and then the remote unit. I missed the first time, bt easily did it the second time because I had the batteries in place and just pushed the last one in the holder and they started to commnicate.

Everything on the display works and the termperature is accurate. I tried the rain gauge by pouring some water in it, but a few hours later, nature gave me a real test with a thunderstorm. You can get accumulated readings for the hour, day, week, month.

The outside unit takes two AA batteries. Since we get -0 temperatures at times, I used lithium batteries outside and regular alkaline in the base.

Now I have to get my computer back from the shop and try the software. Ed

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" wrote in news:Sye2m.3474$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

Thanks Ed. Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So, does the temp sensor have a radiation shield which means it can be mounted in the sun? If not, I'm confused abput something.

Reply to
Red Green

It is not stated, but there is an enclosure. I can tell better tomorrow if there is sun for a change. So far, it seems to be accurate in the late afternoon sun as compared to a thermometer in the shade. 23 or 29 days in June have had rain so far and the next couple of days will also.

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" wrote in news:E5f2m.3479$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

My S.O. is in northern VT right now. Has said nothing but rain as with you. Here in NC it's been varying 90-99 with no rain for weeks and it's not even July. The typical late afternoon thunderstorms are not existant. Guess I need to pick up a 6-pack tomorrow...of alkalines that is.

Reply to
Red Green

"Ed" wrote in news:E5f2m.3479$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

I've been messing with mine when I can which hasn't been much. Haven't mounted it yet. I found it takes a bit of time for the temp to settle when there's been a sudden change where it would vary a few degrees. Suppose that's good and maybe by design to avoid erroneous readings.

As far as the plastic vent shield enclosure for it, I'd say it's not very effective. I had it stabilized in the shade then moved it into the sun. It moved up some pretty quick. Didn't leave it there long to see how much it rose.

I'll have to see about a mount location. I'm leaning towards mounting it on the upper part of the roof rake end about 12'. The soffiet is pretty wide so maybe I can mount the temp sensor there so it's in the shade. Of course that presents that that area can tend to attract warmer air. As far as extending it upwards, I found the short post that came with it fits perfectly inside 3/4" copper pipe. At least that is fairly light, rigid and can be painted. Was originally thinking some plastic PVC pipe be even short lengths of a few feet would be too flexible during windy times.

It's kind of neat that all the sensor connections are nothing more than standard phone lines and jacks. Have to look into it but if the ones that are with it are wired just like a phone, possible I can put the wind and rain sensor in their ideal location and the temp sensor much farther away in it's ideal location.

But wait! There's more!...I'm sure :-)

Reply to
Red Green

My only experience with weather stations was when I was stationed in AK back in the late 70's. While on radio watch, you had to go out every hour and take a bunch of readings from a number of instruments in a wooden enclosure. The "wet bulb" was my 'favorite'. There was a tubular-thermometer with a spinner handle attached. We would dip a cloth casing in alcohol (?), slip it over the smart end of the thermometer, spin the thermometer for some specified amount of time and then immediately record the reading next to the standard "dry bulb" reading. If I recall correctly, the readings had something to do with determining the relative humidity.

I also recall that we went through a lot of thermometers 'cuz it's kind of hard to hold onto the spinner handle when it's 35 below with

30 MPH winds and you're wearing these:

DerbyDad03

So where did you find that? Google thinks the x is a mistake...

--

Reply to
dpb

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9C3B8CB2FF900RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

I got around to mounting it late today. I did mount it to near the peal on one of the ends. The roofline at that point is about 15' and I put the short pole supplied up higher by extending it. As I said, the supplied pipe fits like a glove inside 3/4 copper pipe. So, the wind sensors are up a good height with nothing blocking it. Adding the extra 5' of height reduces/minimizes roof heat reflection. 5' was recommended in the installation link I previously posted. I'll take some pics to spread ideas.

The temp sensor is mounted pretty much under the soffit and will always be shaded. I'm sure being close to the house surface and somewhat shielded from wind will introduce some error but the error when sun was on it was way out of line IMO.

Wonder if I've introduced a brain fart raising the mast. We have not had rain in weeks. I get the pole mounted to the house and am all set to place instruments. It gets dark, rumbles and some lightning starting. Time to put this aside since I'm up on the roof. Then I'm thinking I put this COPPER pipe above the roofline. Only thing higher is the chimney and a much much higher stand of pine trees maybe 40 ft away.

Is this 5' mast gonna be a "Yo, hello lightning bolt. Over here."? The pipe is mounted to the house fascia and sensor connections are all wireless to indoors.

Reply to
Red Green

I have mine on a temporary pole. My wife wants me to put a 4 x 4 in the corner of the deck to hang a planter. I'm thinking I can mount the station on the top or the other side. I too, have noticed the temperature high in the sun, but I'm not sure by exactly how much yet so I may extend the cord down below the deck where it will be in the shade. My deck is 8' above grade so there will not be any ground reflection.

Reply to
Ed

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t21g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

Never done AK but have experienced severe low temps like that, Lived in northern VT about 40mi from Canada. Generally -30 was the bottom of the barrel in isolated years. Northeast Kingdom saw much colder temps even. Anyway, one night is was way down near -30 with a heck of a wind. Think they said the wind chill was -49 to -55.

I had heard that when the air temp is -60 water will crystalize into "snow" when tossed in the air. If you boiled the water it would do it at a higher temp like -50 or -40. Boiled up a pot and tossed it in the air off the deck. Son of a gun,,,instant "snow". Reading about it is one thing. Seeing/doing it is another.

Reply to
Red Green

"Ed" wrote in news:WqV2m.1738$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

Well when the stabilized temp in the shade was 97 today I moved it in the sun for like 10-15min. It read 102.

Reply to
Red Green

dpb wrote in news:h2h7ts$g0r$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Red Green

Thanks for the link.

Will it stand 100+ winds (I am in FL)?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

LouB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.org:

"Wind Speed 0 to 100 mph (displays OFL if outside range)"

Yea but not 101 :-)

Look at the specs on the link page for info. Anything further you have to ask the mfgr. Of course, the way you mount it has to hold up. The wind speed and direction thingys are made of plastic as is the mounting "arm". Doubt it would take a hit from a garbage can.

It's got a 1-Year Manufacturers Warranty. I guess as long as you can show you mounted it adequately you can support a claim. Actually I took a few pics of mine mounted. Plan to post to give an idea of a mounting possibility. That could also serve as showing decent mounting.

Reply to
Red Green

Thank You

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Thanks for the link--I was looking at it but didn't see for some reason first time...I'll claim the bifocals were the culprit. :)

Out here I'll be concerned of the longevity in the near-continual 30-40 mph gusting winds where we think anything under 30 is just a gentle breeze. Stuff fatigues quickly under the continually varying loads in general. Our "spinners" are much tighter diameter than the major FL concerns and while it would be interesting, the likelihood of the station itself surviving would be minimal and at least well down among the lesser of one's concerns if directly in the path... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Sounds like the Dakotas?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Farther south--SW KS...the winds don't blow as consistently farther north, actually. It's what I noticed in ND and Saskatchewan when do coal analyzer support there; the trees _don't_ all lean to the north... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

like these trees?

all the trees on the island point the same way.

Reply to
charlie

sorta' to not quite _that_ extreme, even here! :)

Lessee if can find a random pitchur that's kinda' close...

Well, unfortunately, not in a reasonable amount of time given my slow dialup connection, sorry...maybe I can find one of mine and post it somewhere...

--

Reply to
dpb