Indefinite motor storage

I have two small motors (a Honda outboard and a Kawasaki generator) that I have no use for, but figure I will need the second I sell them. Accordingly, I have put them in storage. The manuals say to drain all the gas and put oil into the cylinders. Easy enough. (The Kawasaki also says to pull the starter to get the valves open)

However, I mentioned it to a friend and he says that is only good for a year; every year I have to replace the oil. It doesn't say that in the manual!

Is draining the gas and putting oil in the cylinder okay for indefinite storage, or just temporary? Thanks.

Reply to
toller

When storing a four-stroke engine, you also need to empty the oil sump (and, say some people, refill it with clean oil.) This may have been what your friend had in mind.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Oh, I did that also. I guess I am so used to doing that at the end of mowing season that I took it for granted; while the other stuff is unusual for me.

Reply to
toller

Eventually moisture will invade the engine. Can you put them in an "space bag" and vacuum out the air? Or just plan on every couple of years re-doing the oil for storage

Reply to
SQLit

Toller,

Your friend is wrong, there is no reason to do an annual oil change on a stored motor. The oil will not degrade. Just do what the manual describes though I would also change the oil in the sump as part of the prep for storage.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

It is the oil in the cylinders that needs to be replaced.

Another spoonful of oil in the cylinders, and turn the engine over to distribute it, to keep the internals from rusting.

Reply to
John Hines

They make a fogging spray for long term storage also, not as messy as pouring oil in the cylinders. I would change the oil before storage, Also change the gear oil in the lower unit of the Honda.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Sometimes the valves will stick open if theres any moisture gets into the guides and rusts the valve stems, the springs arent strong enough to re-close the valves when this happens and then you will have to stick a screwdriver into the plug hole and tap em with a hammer to jar them closed before it will start again.

So suggest you should rotate the crank by hand to top dead center of the compression stroke to make sure both valves are in the fully closed position after putting oil in the cylinder and before replacing the spark plug.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT