Securing a Tundra Camper Shell on Two Saw Horses for Storage

See Subject. The shell weighs about 70-100 pounds and is about 3-4' off the ground on two saw horse sets. It's outside and will remain there for many moths. It feels pretty solid, but there is play when pushed along the direction of the planks between the two supports. Maybe there's even some commercially available system to to do this. Perhaps guy wires/ropes tied to opposite ends?

Reply to
W. eWatson

If I were to do that I'd buy mobile home anchors (the kind that screw into the ground) & guy wire all 4 corners. We get frequent 50 mph winds here and occasional 80 mph blasts, so it would be more a matter of when, not if, it got toppled by the wind.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Not enough headroom in the garage to hang it from the ceiling, I suppose? Pickup toppers are one of those things that there is no convenient way to store them when not needed. Most people around here seem to stand them on end against the garage, and tie them off with rope, but I suspect that tends to rack them and make them hard to reinstall. On two long boards under a deck would be ideal, other than the animals taking up residence in it.

Rather than sawhorses and tiedowns, I think I would sink 4 posts in the ground, lag a 2x6 across the tops, and clamp the topper to those the same way it is clamped to the truck. I might even make the posts tall enough that grass would still grow under there, and I could mow under it. Once the topper is back on the truck, if I knew I would never need to store it again, I'd convert the posts to a kids play fort, or a sunshade for a garden bench, or something. Or just add ropes and use it as a clothesline.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I like aem's suggestion.

I'm not sure anything sitting on horses is safe enough if you ever get wind in your area, but to try and answer your question. Use a small block/strip of wood to fill the rim void so as to not crush the rim and then use pipe clamps swiveled so that the jaws are 90 degrees to each other the upper portion over the rim of the camper and the lower engaging the horse.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Part of my thinking on putting them off the ground was that I try not to have to lift things off the ground unless necessary. We have very hard ground for putting posts in, but anchors are possible with a hammer. My biggest concern, of course, is having it knocked down and damaging it. I think guys and anchors will probably the best I can do in the short term. Autumn and winter winds are a ways off, but one never knows. Maybe could store something below it that would break a fall. The last time I did this it lasted quite a long time. In fact, the truck broke down and I got rid of both.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Screw a couple of 2X's to your saw horses the length and wideth of the cab , Set the cap on the 2X's , wrap a rope or strap around the whole thing front and back so it is secured to the 2X's and then put a couple of tubes of sand (like you get to put in your trunk in winter) and sit or lean them on the bottom supports of the horses to keep it weighted down and on the ground...If no bottom supports screw a 2X crossmember on the bottom of your horses for the tubes of sand to sit on.....Try to have it so it is somewhat sheltered from the wind....ie. next to house , garage or trees , ect....

Reply to
benick

Use 4 "C" clamps to attach the cap to the "cross pieces" from below/inside the cap. They re cheap at HFT

Reply to
Rudy

Buy a Cash-For-Clunkers truck that's been disabled and park it where your saw horses are.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why so high? Here it would blow away! So an old one we have is flat on the ground, laid on a (doubled) plastic sheet and old sheet of OSB under it. Also it's tied to the nearest tree. We have a couple of car bumpers stored under it. Three feet up off the ground would seem to invite it to go airborne! Alternatively: On the ground, piece of plywood on top couple of concrete blocks 'might' keep it down.

Reply to
stan

I wish you could buy disabled C4C vehicles. Some of the ones I saw lined up were shiny enough that they would be worth a crate engine. But no, Uncle Sugar says the yards have 30 or 60 or whatever days to sell parts, and then whatever is left has to be crushed or shredded.

I bet a lot of VIN plates off real totals that are sitting around get magically resurrected on donor bodies, out back in the small-town scrapyards late at night. Odds of anyone ever checking the other VIN locations are slim to none in most states.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

re: "the yards have 30 or 60 or whatever days to sell parts"

Hi, you see that F150 over there? I'd like to buy the cab, the bed, the chassis, and the axles. Oh, heck, what do you want for *all* the parts?

Reply to
DerbyDad03