incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

Page 2 of 5

85% of the worlds supply of tungsten comes from China. There is an estimated 140 year supply remaining on the planet.
CFLs last a lot longer than incandescent. Make sure to include that factor in any cost and pollution considerations.
The bulbs should be recycled so that the tiny amount of mercury in the bulb can be recovered.
I put CFLs in our bathroom vanity mirror. Just the tips stick out and when lit, they look great.
--
Dan Espen

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:01:38 -0700 (PDT), RickH
[snip]

This is a nice story, but not true. You don't even have to rely on "experts" to tell you. You can figure it out all on your own.
Energy costs money, and the cost of energy used to make all products is included in the price. It must be or the manufacturers of the components and the final product would go broke.
If the energy used to make a CFL was more than the energy saved by that CFL, then the cost of the CFL could not be so much lower than the cost of the energy saved.
You may counter that the cost of energy to the manufacturer is lower than the cost of energy to the homeowner. That is a fair comment. However, even if you assume that the factories that make the components for the CFL, and the CFL itself pay half the price per unit of energy than the homeowner does, the cost of the energy saved by one CFL far outweighs the retail price of the CFL.
I agree that the Ethanol situation is far different. That is why Ethanol requires a subsidy to break even, while CFLs do not.
Vic Roberts http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com http://www.cflfacts.com sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org To reply via e-mail: replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Not when the only alternative is LP and electricity is cheap (heat pumps making it even cheaper).

Nonsense. I lose more change out of my pocket.

China thanks you for investing in them.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:41:57 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
[snip]

Why? What is it about CFLs that make you believe they will always be ugly?
Vic Roberts http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com http://www.cflfacts.com sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org To reply via e-mail: replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

The nature of the beast.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:57:33 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If you are unable (or unwilling) to cite the specific performance feature or features you object to, I must assume that your objections are based on some sort of prejudice against the technology, rather than its actual performance.
Vic Roberts http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com http://www.cflfacts.com sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org To reply via e-mail: replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Good God, you're stupid. What is hard about *ugly* to understand? The light from many is ugly, they're slow to start but that's not the issue, here.
The point is that they're butt ugly hanging out of fixtures where the bulb is visible. Got it?
<excessive sig snipped>

Beaty (and ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder. Arrange your fixtures so the spiral doesn't show, or get the CFLs with a bulb-like glass cover. I have NO PROBLEMO with the simple CFLs I have, and neither does the boss.
--
Best regards
Han

Though I don't agree with krw, I agree with him. If it's ugly to him, it's ugly to him. There's no law against storing up old type light bulbs. And it will never be against the law to use 'em if you have 'em. I kind of like the idea of folks filling their basements with cartons of light bulbs. Just something neat about that. Rugged individualism they call it. "The only way you'll get my incandescent is to take it from my hot dead hand."
--Vic

Can't disagree with you <grin>. I was just expressing my opinion.
--
Best regards
Han

Duh! Ya think!

The fixtures are meant to have the bulbs exposed, period. You might have noticed that many chandeliers have the bulbs showing, as do most ceiling fan light fixtures. They're intended to use unfrosted bulbs. Something that would be rather difficult to manage with a CFL.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

All the cfls in my house are no more visible that the incandescents they replaced, except for one ceiling lamp in the basement. They are hidden by either lamp shades, lenses, or desk lamp reflector shells. I don't know about you, but I find an incandescent bulb hanging out of a fixture rather ugly itself.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Another clueless jerk heard from.
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

When your stand is no longer defensible, resort to personal attacks. "See Ya"!!!
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Wrong. When idiots clearly don't bother to read, they *are* clueless jerks.

Don't run away mad.
message can't find an energy saving bulb they like, they havent looked hard enough.

Another moron who can't read, much less think.

The real moron is the guy still using incandescent lighting and paying 5x as much per lumen. Why don't you go back to gas lighting or even candles? Bwaaaahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaah!

The full moon was a couple of days ago. Did you oversleep again?