Ignore that last one ...

I did some digging , turns out I DID authorize godaddy to draw for my domain name . Haven't used it lately , don't even have a host right now . I forgot I even have that domain ... I guess I oughta build a page . Know any free hosting sites ?
--
Snag

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 8:32:52 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Wll then double Doh!
On 5/24/2014 8:32 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I pay for a couple on 1&1 and write them off as a business expense but I also use isp which is free. You could do that but would not have domain name you want. Probably no such thing as free hosting site as they will get you for advertising or something.
| Know any | free hosting sites ?
I know someone who likes Dreamhost. I think it's about $2-3. A free host will show ads on your site. Why not pay for a real host, if you're going to actually bother to create a website? I pay $9/month for a good host at futurequest.net. There are real people there who will answer email. I get real email service. (Not just gmail with my domain name on it.)
It's a mystery to me why so many people will waste loads of money on gadgets they don't need; $100+/month for TV; $4 for a cup of coffee.... but no one wants to pay anything at all for online services like email and webhosting.
On 5/24/2014 8:36 AM, Mayayana wrote:

That does seem to be true. Go-daddy used to have (maybe still does) fantastic customer support. I used to wonder how they did it because the fee I paid them to host my site was nominal. It's paid so far in the future that I don't remember how much it is but I remember it "was" cheap.
I've closed my internet business because I just didn't want to do it anymore but I kept the domain name because it's catchy (and it's a .com).
On 5/24/2014 8:36 AM, Mayayana wrote:

That sounds expensive to me. I have several domains through Misk.com for $12.00 year and then the hosting is only another $25.00 per year. In short, I get the domain name and excellent hosting for $37.00/year for each domain.
| That sounds expensive to me. I have several domains through Misk.com for | $12.00 year and then the hosting is only another $25.00 per year. In | short, I get the domain name and excellent hosting for $37.00/year for | each domain. |
That looks pretty good. There are some things missing, like PHP/ASP. I use PHP and consider it important. And any kind of further functionality, like shopping cart, database, etc is lacking. It's pretty basic. But for $2/month it looks good. I didn't see anything about traffic allowance, though. Sites that cost more generally have a limitation on traffic volume, but one can use up to that limit as one sees fit. Cheaper sites often say they have no limit on traffic, but then their terms are often restrictive, prohibiting binaries, for instance. (Their business model assumes that most people will never really use their website so that actual traffic and storage will be negligible. They back that up by prohibiting downloads or just about any other usage other than serving simple webpages.)
Another issue is whether one shares an IP address or has a site hosted on a dedicated server. I'm not sure about the details there. I've never had a "virtual IP" address. But I do use an .htaccess file (Unix/Linux) for various things. I'm not sure if that's possible when a server is shared between sites. Likewise, email is set up through misk.com. It appears that you don't get your own server. One limitation with that, as seen in their terms of service, is that you can't entirely control the spam filter. They even claim the right to delete email they think might be infected. They seem to be defining your domain email as misk.com email that's simply addressable to your domain. In other words, it's sort of like: snipped-for-privacy@yoursite.com@misk.com
Their TOS also says some odd things. If I read it right, they seem to be claiming retained ownership of your domain names, with the right to cancel your registration, the right to change the admin contact at will, and a ban on you selling your domain. That may just be to prevent domain squatting, but I've never seen such terms before.
None of those things is necessarily a problem at misk.com. I don't really know about who they are. I'm just pointing out that there can be a lot of real differences between hosts. It's often hard to figure them out, since so many hosts just advertise "oodles of stuff for almost no cost". It's a weird business. There are also some companies charging very high prices with no extra benefits that I can see. I once even set up a client with network solutions hosting, figuring that was official and he didn't care about the cost.... only to find out that NS didn't even provide full email service for the domain!
On 5/24/2014 10:29 PM, Mayayana wrote:

You make some interesting points but I have used Misk.com for several years and never had a problem of any kind with them. I you want to see a site that I have hosted with them just point your browser to www.RiverValleyHorseCamp.com and take a look. This particular site gets a lot of visitors and has several large images yet traffic volume has never been a problem. I have several sites with them and you can find one similar the the previous mentioned one but much simpler at http://www.crsales.com if you want to take a look.
| You make some interesting points but I have used Misk.com for several | years and never had a problem of any kind with them. I you want to see a | site that I have hosted with them just point your browser to | www.RiverValleyHorseCamp.com and take a look. This particular site gets | a lot of visitors and has several large images yet traffic volume has | never been a problem. I have several sites with them and you can find | one similar the the previous mentioned one but much simpler at | http://www.crsales.com if you want to take a look. | | Nice sites. It's getting to be an unusual thing to come across a site that just plain works.
On 5/25/2014 7:40 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Thank you, your compliment was appreciated.
Don