So how did that work?

Did anyone see the recent Grand Designs program where a couple of Lawyers in East London gutted a traditional terrace, and set about turning it into an open plan space? (garden was nice, not so keen on the house!)

What was the electronic probe device they used to detect the location of the leaks on the flat roof? Any idea how it works?

Reply to
John Rumm

You could ask them, but they would probably charge £200 to tell you (plus disbursements and VAT)

Reply to
Andy Hall

It happens that John Rumm formulated :

I didn't see it, but my guess would be a simple damp meter. A small instrument with a couple of fixed sharpened probes in the end, with some sort of display?

An ordinary multi-meter with an high resistance Ohms range can used similarly, if connected to a pair of fixed distance sharp tipped probes. Any moisture in the material will show up as a decrease in resistance reading.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Try typing "ultrasonic building leak detection" (without the quotes) into Google, and there should be enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon