Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

Page 3 of 3
Kyle wrote:

Sure, but they really keep beating the drum about all of their expert employees.

I think its a matter of Luck of the Draw, i.e. where you live.... Let me give an example of our local Lowe's and HD. Our local Lowe's is staffed by knowledgeable staff in all but one of the departments I frequent. However, our local HD is nothing short of a waste of space (nobody knows a thing.... when you can even find one). Then we go to a town 40 miles from here and the total reverse is true as far as Lowe's goes... The Lowe's there is no better than the HD is locally and the 40 mile distant HD is, well, no better there than here....
I personally think it has to do with the competence of the store's management as to the level of expertise the staff of the departments display. Our local HD's manager has no idea of the application of anything sold in his store. He was, no doubt, a college graduate in business/management which meant someone dumber than he thinks that makes him competent to run a building supply business. On the other hand, our local Lowe's is managed by a gentleman that spent years as a contractor in the building trades before moving into management for a big box store.
I know you are talking about Walmart and me using Lowe's and HD as an example may not be the best to compare but I still think any store's personnel knowledge or lack of is a direct reflection on the competence of the management and their knowledge.
Regards, Stan

Somewhat, but it is not possible to find enough warm, moving, and trainable bodies to fill the positions. Especially at the wages they pay. Don't expect to find a well trained, knowledgeable person in plumbing for $9 an hour. Don't expect to find to cheap discounted prices if the help is paid $19 an hour. You get what you pay for.
Remember the Pogo quotation "We have met the enemy and he is us"

You are right and I didn't think of that. However, the department of the local Lowe's that I deal in the most (who's department head is extremely knowledgeable in that area) is a retired individual from that specific discipline and is probably doing it as a supplement to retirement.
And yes to what I would say would be a response to that... the majority of the department heads and underlings are not retired and this job is their bread and butter.
I guess it all boils down to the kid running the register at our local Mickey D's..... we had a storm while I was giving my order and a serge tripped their registers. They could get the cash drawers open to keep business going but no one could calculate change in their head so the whole thing came to a grinding halt until they could reboot their systems. I just stood their in total amazement because I assumed a reasonably competent 3rd grader could make change by that time in life's continuing education.
Well, they can always grow up and be politicians.
Regards, Stan
I think this is really the key issue here. HD and Lowe's advertise heavily that they provide expert advice, and they should do so, otherwise it's false advertising.
On the other hand, Walmart's slogan is "always the low price" - I can't recall Walmart ever making claims about having knowledgeable staff. The presumption is when you go there, you'd better already know what you need.
Eric

Eric wrote:

And its similar with the other big box stores. Take Best Buy, they heavily advertise that all their associates are knowledgeable when the reality is they are low paid and their training consists of going to a room before the store opens and being told what to push to get a small commission.
Stan wrote:

I would not expect that to last long. Big box store managers are required to be tyrants to motivate the barely above minimum wage employees to produce.

On one Forbes listing of the top ten richest people (in US maybe?), 5 of the ten were Waltons. Sickening.

On Jul 17, 5:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks silicone sucks for most things? Seems to me that unless the silicone is going to be pressed between 2 objects, it's pretty useless. I see people using silicone to seal windows on the outside [for example] and it ends up coming off in long strings.
Oh, and unless you know the guy is on the ball, explaining yourself to a bigbox retailer employee is stupid. As someone mentioned, I'm just thrilled if the dope knows where the damn thing is.
And I must say it's heartening to see others not buy into the "SprawlMart is so cheap" mythology.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Maybe you(they) didn't clean the windows first? I put elastomeric silicon/acrylic caulk around an window air conditioner (mounted through the wall) ten years ago. The caulk still looks like new.

Maybe your explanations aren't any better than your cleaning of the windows. ;-) Most of the employees at the BORG here are pretty good. They're really the only game in town for most things.

You're not required to shop there, are you?
--
Keith

Is reading comprehension a problem -- I'm talking about silicone caulking, not siliconized acrylic. And I'm talking about run-of-the- mill homeowners. sheesh

Are you looking for an argument? sheesh I'm talking about silicone, not siliconized acrylic; and I'm talking about homeowners' use of it. The rest of your post wasn't even necessary.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

No, but evidently you are. You didn't need to answer twice with the same shit-for-brains attitude each time.

--
Keith