Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

Good advice. Even a little prayer for the ambulance passenger, as well as the attendants. Firefighters, paramedics and police all have dangerous jobs, and could use it. After a very bad accident of my own, I am even more aware of this than I used to be.

As for the know-it-all workers, I typically just explain what I'm doing, and provide the informaton. They can take it or not. Often they won't appear to at the moment, but it may give them thought for later. Sometimes, I have found that the guy does know what he's talking about, and one of us is simply not communicating well enough. Patience is difficult to come by when you are in the middle of a job and have to run to the store, but it is a good thing to have. I know I need it myself sometimes.

Reply to
celticsoc

That's an old wives(husbands) tale.This used to be the case years ago when the zinc coating would flake off, but methods of bonding have improved over the years. Galvanized sched. 40 pipe is not only approved but is recommended for natural gas use, specially outdoors and/or underground,in most juridictions.The threads should be coated with pipe paste to protect them as the galvanizing has been cut off during the threading process. Copper, plastic and flexible stainless steel are also used for NG. Black pipe's main advantage over the others is that it is cheaper. Only use mallable fittings, not cast and no close nipples or threaded bushings.

Reply to
kool

Better read up

Galvanized coated pipe is not deemed adequate coating for underground use.

pipe is commonly used for water systems, black pipe for manufactured and natural gas. Galvanized pipe should never be used for gas installations. Plumbing codes in many areas require that black pipe, especially that used underground, be coated and wrapped.

Our local inspect still does not allow galvanized for any gas. That varies by jurisdiction.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, it's code in many places and was based on corrosion tests/results.

There's a fairly recent paper on it on the web that confirms some issues still (mostly w/ imported LNG) that I looked at not very long ago but I'm not interested enough to dig it up again at the moment.

--

Reply to
dpb

Galvanized pipe is commonly used for water systems, black pipe for

One of us has "read up"

From YOUR first link

  1. Shall be standard weight wrought iron or steel (galvanized or black), yellow brass (containing not more than 75% copper) or internally tinned or equivalently treated copper of iron pipe size.
    Pipe exposed to the weather must be properly sized. Galvanized pipe or protectively coated wrought iron or steel pipe shall be used.
    to the changes in natural gas content and plumbing practices, it was decided that "galvanized" pipe and fittings is now acceptable for use with natural gas if a person wishes to use it.

Who do you believe True hardware or Union Gas?

Reply to
kool

You ignored and left out

In the first post (see what I left above for your reference) you stated galvanized is recommended for underground. This specifically states that it is not acceptable. Read what you wrote, read what was posted in the link that you referenced. See the contradiction?

Furthermore, I referenced Ace Hardware. Why are you bringing True Value into this? Having reading comprehension problems?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Excuse me Edwin, you did reference Ace Hardware and not True Value, I did have a reading comprehension problem with that, I am not sure that matters much but I think I would take the word of a utility authority such as Union Gas over ANY hardware store chain regarding gas code regulations, wouldn't you?

I also said that galvanized pipe is prefered over black pipe for underground installation , and left out the fact that ALL underground pipe , including galvanized ,MUST be coated and wrapped except approved plastic. I recently installed 130ft. of 1" galvanized sched.40 pipe across a flat roof on a commercial building and had it approved and passed by local inspector as I am a Class 1 gas fitter. Are you?

Just in case you didn't check the reference:

Use of galvanized pipe in a natural gas piping system Code Clarification procedures issue date 1998-07 supercedes page issue date approved by section reference 01.9

QUESTION The new Code no longer specifically bans the use of galvanized piping in a natural gas system. By the Code silence on the use of it, is it now acceptable?

ANSWER Refer to Clause 5.2.1 in the Ontario Gas Utilisation Code. Galvanized pipe is steel, hot-dipped, zinc coated, welded and seamless pipe which complies with the ASTM A53 Standard. Black pipe is actually galvanized pipe that is treated with a black coating but still complies with the ASTM A53 Standard. In the past, the high sulphur and moisture content in the gas caused a vapour to form which was corrosive to the galvanised coating resulting in flaking off of the coating which plugged gas valves. Gas supplies are now dried and processed in a manner that removes

95% or more of the moisture and sulphur content. Also, at one time prior to the use of copper tubing, all water piping was galvanized pipe, which after installation could become confused with galvanized natural gas piping. Due to the changes in natural gas content and plumbing practices, it was decided that "galvanized" pipe and fittings is now acceptable for use with natural gas if a person wishes to use it.
Reply to
kool

No, I'd take the word of the local inspector. In the town where our factory is, galvanized is still not allowed. Easier to use black pipe than to try and argue with him.

That is what I questioned. That is why I referenced

From your statement it is easy to infer galvanized is all that is needed underground. We both know that it is not.

No, I hire one as needed. That is not always a good thing. I certainly hope you are better than the first one I used.

When I had a boiler installed, the pipefitters were from the next state and did not have a local gasfitters license. I had to hire a gasfitter. What a joke. He had the plant shut down for four hours to thread a 4" pipe that the other guys could have cut and welded in 15 minutes. He had the right piece of paper to satisfy the inspector though. Fortunately, I've since found a good one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Am I the only one who thinks silicone sucks for most things? Seems to me that unless the silicone is going to be pressed between 2 objects, it's pretty useless. I see people using silicone to seal windows on the outside [for example] and it ends up coming off in long strings.

Oh, and unless you know the guy is on the ball, explaining yourself to a bigbox retailer employee is stupid. As someone mentioned, I'm just thrilled if the dope knows where the damn thing is.

And I must say it's heartening to see others not buy into the "SprawlMart is so cheap" mythology.

Reply to
Hopkins

Maybe you(they) didn't clean the windows first? I put elastomeric silicon/acrylic caulk around an window air conditioner (mounted through the wall) ten years ago. The caulk still looks like new.

Maybe your explanations aren't any better than your cleaning of the windows. ;-) Most of the employees at the BORG here are pretty good. They're really the only game in town for most things.

You're not required to shop there, are you?

Reply to
krw

Is reading comprehension a problem -- I'm talking about silicone caulking, not siliconized acrylic. And I'm talking about run-of-the- mill homeowners. sheesh

Reply to
Hopkins

Reply to
Hopkins

No, but evidently you are. You didn't need to answer twice with the same shit-for-brains attitude each time.

Reply to
krw