Identifying a shutoff gate valve brand

Hi, The shutoff valve in my house does not work. I would like to fix it with parts of another valve, but I do not know what brand I need - the little identification plate that is usually on the handle is missing. It looks similar to
http://ts.smoothcorp.com/cornerhardware/127301.299x299.jpeg , except that the handle of the valve is light green in color, or blueish-green. The house was built in 1975. If you have the same valve, could you please tell me what brand it is it (it should be indicated on a small plate at the center of the handle). Thanks!
<< The shutoff valve in my house does not work. >>
Now's your chance to modernize it with a quarter turn ball valve. The odds on your being able to repair what you have are close to zero. Don't risk a future flood, do it right and you'll be saving money by not having to do it over. Good luck.
Joe
Do you have a way to stop the water before it gets to this shutoff? If so, just take the guts to a good hardware store and they will find the appropriate replacements; most likely you just need a new washer.
Pefferie wrote:

there.
<< most likely you just need a new washer. >>
Gate valves don't have washers, they use sliding plates or "gates". HTH
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote in message

Yes, but if you look at the pic, what he has is not a gate valve, it's a regular one.
Chet Hayes wrote:

'stop valve' which is the most common valve installed in homes. There is an outward difference in appearance between the two types. A 'gate valve' is usually shorter between the threaded ends and has straight sides between the base and the top. A 'stop valve' has a bulge, or 'belly', between the base and top to accommodate the split chamber inside.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've only seen gate valves with the rectangular type handle, as opposed to a round one. That's why I mis-identified it.