water shutoff valve

My toilet was taking a while to fill up and making a loud high pitched
noise whenever the water filled up the tank. Thinking there was
something wrong with the old floating ball tank valve, I replaced it.
I came to find out that was not the problem and it was instead the shut
off valve feeding the water into the tank. There must have been
something wrong with the guts of the valve to cause so much noise and
restricted water flow, maybe debris or something.
The other day I finally find some time to disassemble the shut off
valve. It is soldered on to the copper pipe that comes out of the
tiled floor of the bathroom. I found a broken rubber washer on the
outlet side of the valve that had migrated through the valve from the
internal stem that seals the flow from the pipe. The local hardware
store had nothing remotely near the size of the washer I needed so the
guy suggested replacing the valve. I was not too keen on cutting off
the old one and putting a compression fitted type on there so I asked
to see the washers for myself. I found washers that were the correct
outside and inside diameter sizes but too thin. I bought two washers
and stacked them to make the approximate thickness required. Total
cost = $0.36.
I have put the valve back together and everything seems to work fine
for now. Did I do anything that will get me later? Should I consider
replacing the valve anyway?
Reply to
badgolferman
should have just replaced it when you had the water off. Cut the pipe, get a new quarter turn compression fit valve and you'll be done in 5 min. it'll probably take longer to turn the water off and back on than it will to replace the valve.
Reply to
Steve Barker
I think you will be okay. But if you at least an inch of pipe of above the floor follows Steve's suggestion next time or when you have a problem. Compression valves are easy to replace, spend the extra $2 and buy a quarter turn ball valve and never replace it again.
Reply to
Colbyt

Site Timeline Threads