I may be just a grumpy old man but

Page 1 of 3
I hate computer generated phone calls. I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.
Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if he met your expectations press 2 ect.
They started question 2. I hung up.
Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my expectations.

What about checking out at the cashier in the store using a credit card. I love it when the card reader asks if the sales price is ok or not. I often joke with the cashiers and ask, "does this mean it's negotiable if I say no?".
On 9/8/2012 7:18 PM, Doug wrote:

KMart is horrible for this. You get a whole list of questions before you can sign for your purchase. Last time I was there, the cashier, apparently knowing how people hate this, just reached over the credit card machine and randomly tapped his fingers on the screen, making it go directly to the signature screen. I'm sure the bean counters love this!

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....
Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!
The local K Marts look like they have begun their going out of business sale. Dumpy dirty stores, OUT of many items, few clerks..... they deserve to close....
then we have JCPENNEY my once favorite store espically for clothes. Ron Johnson their new CEO has destroyed everything that was good about penneys:(
Pushed the gay agenda with gay couples on their catalog front pages, although hiring ellen wasnt over the top the gay couples were,,,,
ron cut inventory levels, cut workers so my local store is a dump, with inventory everywhere.... including the floor.. the mens fitting room was piles of non wanted clothes. they dont have enough help to run the store.......
ron is a total jerk he should of test marketed his crackpot idea in a 100 stores before rolling it out to the entire chain..... its cut sales around 30%. macys and kohls must be thrilled their sales are up.
the remaing help are chained to registers, and many having had their commisioned pay end are leaving for other jobs.
penneys too deserve to go out of business, it was profitable till ron arrived.....
he made a public statement that sales are better they are only off another 7%...

I suspect we'll see more of it. Credit card fraud is rampant. Simple things like the zip code cuts down the mis-use quite a bit.

And it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to buy (a full tank of) gas at many gas stations in the USA with a Canadian Credit Card. I had to explain several times to each of numerous cashiers at gas stations across the north central US this summer that I was going to fill the car, and , no, I did not know how much it was going to cost, but I'd leave the credit card with them until the tank was filled so there was no danger of me running off without paying..

So, was it really "impossible" to buy a full tank of gas or were you eventually able to after offering your explanation?
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:19:43 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I had to leave one because they insisted I prepay a fixed amount. I had enough fuel to move on so I did. At the second, I had the same problem, so I just said if they were afraid I'd run without paying, I'd leave all 3 of my credit cards and my driver's licence - and they relented and said one credit card would do. From then on, the next 2 fillups, I just said I'd done it at other stations and they accepted.
On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 21:38:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Couldn't you just pay at the pump? Something different about Canadian cards?

My guess: they don't accept Canadian postal codes as zip codes.
What do I win?
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 02:18:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

First prize is a week in NWT Second price is two weeks in NWT in January.
Forgot about those codes. I guess they work, but they don't have an easily memorized flow to them like our all numerical zip.

I don't know The North Pole is H0H0H0 Pretty simple to me

I signed up for call-blocking thru my local phone company. I'm allowed to input a list of phone number to block. I used to get a lot of unwanted charities calling. Now I just put in their phone numbers and I no longer have to deal with them.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 02:18:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Affirmation

Pay at the pump required the ZIP code - Canadian postal codes not accepted.

I found this at http://www.i75online.com/CreditCardWorkaround.html
"3. A Canadian Zip Code - A number of readers have contacted me to suggest entering "00000," "11111," "12345" or "99999" (depending upon gas brand). Other suggestions have included punching in the 3 digits from your postal code followed by two zeros (e.g., L5G 4N9 would be entered as "54900"). All claim that these work at their southern destinations. When tested, we have found these to be regional or brand specific. There is no continuity in this solution and when you drive into a station away from your home base, you really do not know whether you are going to be able to actuate the pump or not with your card."
On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 02:36:36 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Tried several ov them in both (IIRC) indiana and michigan. Didn't work. American Zip codes are numbers only - cannot enter Alpha characters on a numeric keyboard - so the postal code with extra zeros was a non-starter.
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:18:43 -0500, Doug wrote:

And the cashier, just to be nice, laughs even though she/he has heard this a million times.

Your caller ID tell you it is computer generated? I'm impressed. Mine only gives the number and sometimes the caller.

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.