how to unlock desk

Page 2 of 2
I like to refinish furniture, and have had to deal with keyless locks about 4 times. Each time I just used a drill, with a bit that was just smaller than the keyhole itself. I have never had to move up in bit sizes - the bit got inside, grabbed the tumblers, and the lock opened. The reason I used the smallest bit I could was so that the lock would at least still look good, even if it didn't work. As for the suggestions of having a new key made, I found that it was cheaper and easier to just drill the lock out and then go buy a new lock cylinder. They tend to be in standard sizes.

<sob>
As a locksmith with 15+ years in the trade, it is painful to think of people drilling out desk locks which are so doggone easy to make keys (in most cases).
--
Christopher a. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yesterday you were a HVAC tech.
The day before, you were a missionary for LSD.
Now you're a locksmith with 15+ years?
What's your problem? You a security risk (a theif)?

Wonder if hes bonded??? We all know he is not licenced.

gonna pay for a housecall to make a new key for a 10-buck cabinet lock? I would only consider that for a <really> nice piece that I wanted to keep original. I <have> disassembled locked desks to keep the lock intact, but it is usually a major pain.
aem sends....

I would do the same thing. If it was an old piece that I wanted to keep the original lock, then I might pay a locksmith. But for most locks, I would drill out the original and spend 10 bucks and get a new one (20 bucks if it's a fancy one). Even some of the old locks can be replaced with identical ones if you go to a place like VanDykes to get it...