how to unlock desk

My wife bought a 2nd hand counter and one of the drawers is locked with a desk typ[e of lock, (little thing with a 3-digit number on the face). She was not given the key.

Is there any way to unlock this short of using a hacksaw blade to cut it open?

Reply to
George W. Logue

I got rather good at it using a couple of paper clips.

Check the manufacture of the lock, they should be able to supply a key based on the number.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

George W. Logue wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Any locksmith store will be able to make you a key. Just give them the mfg name and the code.

Reply to
Chuckles

go to a locksmith and give them the 3 digit code. they'll cut you a key. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

As a locksmith with 17 years in the field, I assure you many lock professionals can make another key for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Locksmith? I thought you were a HVAC hack!

Reply to
HeatMan

Man...he looks UP to hacks..

:)

Shame NY does not have an authorized licence board...

Reply to
CBHvac

Hi George!

GW> My wife bought a 2nd hand counter and one of the drawers is locked GW> with a desk typ[e of lock, (little thing with a 3-digit number on the GW> face). She was not given the key. GW> GW> Is there any way to unlock this short of using a hacksaw blade to cut GW> it open?

Or a locksmith may be able to open and provide a replacement key based on the numbers.

Otherwise you should be able to drill out the lock. Start with a small bit and keep increasing bit sizes until the tumblers are drilled out.

  • And next time you wave try using all of your fingers!
Reply to
barry martin

Blow torch

Reply to
M R

Instead of focusing on the lock itself, can you not remove stuff *around* it?

Reply to
Bruno

As a locksmith with over 15 years experience, I suggest that calling a locksmith would be less painful than ever increasing drill bit sizes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I've drilled out dozens of locks on pinball and arcade machines. (When they are resold, they often come without keys - I wasn't breaking into them. )

If you are talented, you may be able to pick the lock. I'm not - so I did the drill method, with good results.

-don

Reply to
DonS

I had the same problem with an old metal file cabinet. I just drilled thru the lock. I could have bought a new lock at a hardware store for less than $5, which is probably cheaper than a locksmith, but I dont need a lock on it when I just use it to store junk.

If you drill, start out with a 1/4" bit and go to a larger size from there.

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

So...what ARE you Chris? Are you a locksmith? Are you an HVAC professional (no)??

Reply to
CBHvac

I like to refinish furniture, and have had to deal with keyless locks about 4 times. Each time I just used a drill, with a bit that was just smaller than the keyhole itself. I have never had to move up in bit sizes - the bit got inside, grabbed the tumblers, and the lock opened. The reason I used the smallest bit I could was so that the lock would at least still look good, even if it didn't work. As for the suggestions of having a new key made, I found that it was cheaper and easier to just drill the lock out and then go buy a new lock cylinder. They tend to be in standard sizes.

Reply to
Alaspor

As a locksmith with 15+ years in the trade, it is painful to think of people drilling out desk locks which are so doggone easy to make keys (in most cases).

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Yesterday you were a HVAC tech.

The day before, you were a missionary for LSD.

Now you're a locksmith with 15+ years?

What's your problem? You a security risk (a theif)?

Reply to
HeatMan

Wonder if hes bonded??? We all know he is not licenced.

Reply to
CBHvac

Sure, if they can get it out and bring the loose lock into you. But who is gonna pay for a housecall to make a new key for a 10-buck cabinet lock? I would only consider that for a nice piece that I wanted to keep original. I disassembled locked desks to keep the lock intact, but it is usually a major pain.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

I would do the same thing. If it was an old piece that I wanted to keep the original lock, then I might pay a locksmith. But for most locks, I would drill out the original and spend 10 bucks and get a new one (20 bucks if it's a fancy one). Even some of the old locks can be replaced with identical ones if you go to a place like VanDykes to get it...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton