suggestions please (access to disabled person's house)

Scenario:

Elderly widow - disabled - uses Zimmer would take her up to 10 mins to get to the door. On her own all day since husband died. Has daughter at home in evenings.

Has always kept the back door unlocked for visitors during the day. - for over 40 years since moving to the house. Needs to give access to health workers as well as friends and relatives but we need her to recognise the risks of having the door unlocked.

I can't get my head around key boxes as surely some people might walk away with the key. Not sure she would go along with an electric entry system - in any case if she was incapacitated then how could someone gain access to help.

I am at a loss to make a recommendation.

Any ideas welcomed.

Reply to
John

Digital lock, with number supplied only to those who would need it?

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

what about a coded lock? you could share the code between the people who need access but the door could still be secure, You could maybe couple this with a visual remote entry like a video buzzer.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

The local care team will install a key box which is very safe - it has a 5 digit pin number to unlock it, it's made of solid steel, coated in thick rubber and it has one huge bolt going through the back of it into the brickwork of the house, once the code is typed in correctly, the face of the box comes away (no hinges) leaving the key exposed, also careline will install a type of speakerphone thing and she will be given a remote panic button which she wears, so that if she falls or anything she can press it and the machine will alert someone who is there 24/7 - they relay the 5 digit pin to the emergency services / doctors etc, they will also install smoke alarms which are linked to it too, the machine/speaker shenanigans are connected via the telephone socket, there is a charge for this, around 4gbp per week, installation/equipment etc are free...you need to speak to your local council.

Reply to
Phil L

A push button digital lock will allow anyone with the right code access and, if she might have a problem working that, you can get them with key operation as an alternative way to enter. Speak to your local locksmith.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Bearing in mind she's had no problems for 40 years, what are the risks? Why are they different now than during the last 40 years? Do consider for a moment if you are creating a bigger problem than you are solving.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Valid point Andrew - but society is changing and the area might not be as safe as it was - coupled with the fact she is now on her own much more and cannot easily go and check out sounds.

Reply to
John

Per the other response, one common emergency facility is a "piper=20 lifeline" - some areas provide these free of charge, some charge about a=20 =A330 installation fee, followed by ~=A315 per month (actually about =A314.=

21=20 according to my missus, who used to handle these charges for a council)

You may find that these charges (or at least the installation) might=20 also be helped out with by the British Legion, local church groups,=20 Social Services etc.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

John,

Had a similar problem with my now deceased father and after contacting the local Social Services department, the came up with this item that was stocked in their own disability shop for around fifty pounds

if there are problems with the wrap
cheap, but very, very effective and simple to use.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

> Or if there are problems with the wrap
> Not cheap, but very, very effective and simple to use.

I would be concerned that some drippy relations would not remember to replace the key in the box.

Reply to
John

I bought the exact same item from Argos for about a tenner, so it's worth shopping around.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

>>> Or if there are problems with the wrap
>>> Not cheap, but very, very effective and simple to use.

So you put three identical keys inside the box - maybe tape the spares to the back using gaffer tape to emphasise they are 'emergency' use - if someone needs to use one, they'll tell the resident who will know who was here last time and wandered off with the prime key. But more likely the 'prime' key will just have been left on the hall table, and the daughter can replace it in the evening.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Hear Hear!

Burgling someone is not that great a jail sentence.

Robbery is a far greater one..that means the person is there at the time.

Robbery with violence is an 8 year stretch..

The chances of being recognized..even by an old lady - are a risk that most petty thieves won't take on. And no professional thief would.

My house got burgled..they caught them because they did another house with a mother and child in it, and threatened her with violence..the police were delighted..they had them on the radar, but not enough evidence..this way they had the evidence, and a charge carrying a long jail sentence to hit them with.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use a long piece of string or fishing line attaching the key to the box.

I've just remembered to remove the key from my box now it isn't needed for its elderly resident purpose. They are pretty vandal-proof, but the Social Security provided type we have isn't auto-closing. You need to input the number to draw back the bolt again to close it.

Reply to
JohnDW

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:42:10 GMT someone who may be "Phil L" wrote this:-

To those lucky enough to live in the right area. Others may have to pay for and install such a box themselves.

However, they are a very good idea and it would be difficult to break into one. It would be easier to bash most doors down.

Reply to
David Hansen

That didn't happen with the one my father has as the key was attached to the front section of the box. It was difficult to pocket it and forget about it.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq