How to seal bottom of uninsulated wall?

I noticed a nice cool breeze in the basement. Turns out that it's one of those old homes with no insulation in the walls, where it's open in places all the way from the attic to the basement. Someone back in the distant past appears to have stuffed doubled over carpet in the basement ceiling at the wall.
What should I use to do the seal properly, and get rid of the decaying carpet. I considered spray foam, and some books I looked at recommended stuffing fiberglass in the hole, but I am leary of using fiberglass in areas I might be wandering around in.
Any ideas?
-P
On Dec 19, 4:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

check your climate first then browse thru this great site at: http://www.buildingscienceconsulting.com/designsthatwork/default.htm
On Dec 19, 4:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have the idea that you won't live forever and that fiberglass insulation stuffed up into a wall cavity in a basement won't affect your health or longevity. Expanding foam will work, but it will cost way more and it is probably worse for your health than the fiberglass.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't confuse sealing with insulating. They are two very different things. Fiberglass doesn't seal anything.

My boat hull begs to differ. ;)
You probably can do two things. Close up the chase. Get some wood and close it up. Use something that won't burn like a small piece of paneling of some sort. Then caulk around it and where the wall touches the foundation. You'll probably cut a lot of breezy areas and it will be warmer. It'll take time. Work on the coldest spots first.

On Dec 20, 10:25pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"

I was thinking, spray the gap with low expansion Great Stuff, maybe embeding a short piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe a few places in case somehow water ever came down from above (attic leak or whatever). That foam stuff is pretty much permanent though, which may be a problem some day.
Your wood and caulk solution sounds more "reversible". Thanx.
-P
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Embed a drain in the wall in case the roof leaks??
I can't think of an appropriate comment for that.

The word is "contingency planning". Oops, thats two words. :-)
Even in a well maintained home, water can happen, a unnoticed roof leak, or plumbing problem. If that happens, you have two choices:
a) the water collects in the container you've conviently created for it and you find out about the problem when your hand goes thru the moldy decaying wall in the dining room or
b) the water drains out of the outlet in the bottom of the wall you provided and you notice and fix the problem.
Agreed, it's a philosophical difference, like some people caulk all the way around the base of a toilet and other leave a small gap for water to come out in case there is a problem with the wax ring.
-P
I think the idea is home sealing. Putting drainage in for this matter is a waste of time and defeats the purpose of sealing. Also, if you have "balloon" construction, the wood pieces would do the most to seal and reduce the spread of fire should it occur.