Repairing door bottom seal

I have a 45 year old door to the garage. On the bottom is an embedded seal with a pin that pushes against the door jamb to lower the seal part when you close the door.

The thing is starting to drag on the floor. The door seems to be square in the frame. Putting a spacer behind the hinge won't help because the place that drags is almost 90 degrees off the angle where adjusting the door angle with a spacer would help.

I googled, but didn't find much on this type of seal. Maybe I need better keywords.

It's the metal part, not the actual moving seal, that's dragging on the floor.

Anyhoo, before I take the door off in freezing weather, I'd like some ideas on how those seals are mounted and what I'm up against to fix it.

Reply to
mike

Here are a couple of links that may help you.

dadiOH

Don't you know you should be putting "OT" in the subject when posting an off topic in a political newsgroup?

Without actually seeing your door, I would consider removing and replacing it with a simple bottom seal like this.....

I've had mine for years and still doing well even in the harsh climates of Michigan.

Reply to
Meanie

I can understand the need for a retractable door seal on an entrance door but I have no idea why one is needed on a garage door that goes up and down. A simple rubber U shape seal normally suffices on garage doors.

Reply to
Meanie

He didn't say the seal was on a garage door, he said "I have a...door to the garage."

I have one garage door and 2 doors "to the garage".

English is an interesting language.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I seriously doubt that the door in question will close if that type of seal is installed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ok, let's not get into a tizzy over it. I took off the door and hit it with a hammer. Works now.

Reply to
mike

You couldn't hit the door with a hammer while it was still installed?

Strange.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I believe it is a man-door to the garage - and likely an attached garage, which you want well sealed from the house it is attached too. I may be wrong on the second and third points, but virtually sure I am right on the obvious - it is a "man door"

Reply to
clare

I suspect he hit the pin. Possibly with the door on it's side so anything jamming it would fall out of place.

Reply to
clare

Dammit....i missed that. Thanks for clarifying

Reply to
Meanie

Whoosh!

Re-read what he wrote.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
clare

What does "it" refer to in that sentence?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

COULD simply be the door, but the assumption, given earlier discussion, is he hit the door bottom seal mechanism -, because he uses the same it for what he hit and what now works - - - - -

Reasonable assumption to me.

Reply to
clare

You don't get jokes do you?

Lighten up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oren posted for all of us...

Fire rating has nothing to do with exhaust fumes.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Only if you poke at it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

The fire rating is only a rating of the ability of the door to resist heat for certain period of time. The sealing is a separate issue, I include this search:

8 &oe=utf-8#q=garage+door+fire+rating&start=10

All the more reason to have smoke & CO detectors. I worked with a lady whom almost had snake eyes because her friend went to eternal sleep in the garage. I don't know how she missed the big one by waking up or third party .

Reply to
Tekkie®