How to make a wooden lampshade

Page 1 of 2
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgsDWb0orSQ&feature=player_embedded

I have to say that is pretty amazing. Well worth the 3 minutes or so to watch.
--
Colbyt

Fascinating Too bad that you need to waste so much wood for a single shade.
Makes me wonder if it would not be possible to use a laser to cut multiple cylinders out of that piece, and then make a collection of shades of different diameters.
Also was the piece of wood green or dried ?
Attila.Iskander wrote:

He has another video wherein he makes a set of six toothpicks out of another block.

Aren't toothpicks made by turning trees in a lathe?
On 2/9/2012 6:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:

There was another really cool video that showed up after that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_AwFSWIPU

TDD

How asinine.
This is incredibly expensive, stupidly fragile, and a wood pattern could have been printed on a more standard shade easily.
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:21:04 -0800 (PST), mike

Obviously, you are not a woodworker. You could not be more wrong. You can also buy lamp shades at Wal Mart.
Some day I may have a lathe and I'd like to make something like that As for expensive, the wood may have been free. I've had and burned many logs like that. The only cost is a penny or two for the electricity turning the lathe.

Ed,
Before you read this. That is not bubble gum or tobacco in my cheek. It is my tongue.
How can you be so ungreen? A valuable firewood log was destroyed to satisfy one man's vanity!
A cheap Chinese made shade would have done the same job.
Can we filter out gmail posters?
Colbyt
On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 20:14:17 -0500, "Colbyt"

I'm not ungreen at all. I firmly believe that materials no longer needed should be recycled or re purposed. The best lampshades are made by stretching foreskins over a used popsicle stick frame. They give the bulb a nice soft glow too.

Did the cutter repurpose all the wood chips?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

From the video we can't tell whether he wasted valuable energy or whether the lathe was pedel-powered. (Think of the poor people in darkest Africa!)
Some folks like to grouse before all the facts are in.

The real waste was by me getting fascinated by all the U-tube vids and wasted 3 hours watching them last night when I could have been pedaling a bike to charge up a battery.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Sort of "Cut and Trade"?

That would make AlBore smile.

I'm not talking about the cost of the electricity. I'm talking about the cost of the hourly rate of a woodturner skilled enough to turn wood down to light-permeable thicknesses for hours on end! Stupid, stupid, stupid (the endeavor, not you).
The cost of the lathe would be a secondary issue. The cost of electricity is beside the point.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:20:58 -0800 (PST), mike

Yeah, I hear you. I had to quit fishing because the damn fish was so expensive. I couldn't afford my 'relaxing' pills and still eat fish that cost $500/lb once I figured in my hourly wage.
Jim

A more apt analogy would be raising fish in a fish tank for months, rather than fishing or going to to store.
Making a lampshade on a lathe is a rectal tonsillectomy. It's going about things the very hard way.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:33:02 -0800 (PST), mike

I repeat, you are obviously not a woodworker.
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:49:20 -0800 (PST), mike

Sure I have, but this is not the place to use it. If you were a woodworker, you'd understand. The simplest way would be to go to Wal Mart and buy a friggin shade, but that is not the point is it?
When I wanted a stand for my new TV, my choices were easy. Buy one for about $100, or make one for $150 in materials and 15+ hours labor. I'm very proud of the stand I made. One of a kind, solid oak.
Want to hear about the cutting boards I made for gifts? The boxes? The trivets? All could have been bought for less money, less energy, less time. All would have been boring too.