How to know which cleaners and detergents are SAFE for hi-pressure power washers?

Lots of cleaning products (soaps, degreasers, detergents, etc) are made for power washers, but many, most or all of them state that they should only be used with *downstream* injectors or pickup hoses - not *upstream* pickup tubes where they will pass through the high pressure pump itself.
Some washers mention to not use cleaning products that don't harm certain types of pressure hoses (I forget the exact term they mention - somthing like "N-Buta") and I've also read that citrus-based products are safe (but it's hard to know if a given product is infact citrus-based).
So I'm wondering if there is any additional info about just what can and can't be used for a chemical cleaning product for down-stream pickup in a power washer.
Power Wash wrote:

Spend the $20 on a downstream chemical injector and don't worry about which chemicals to use.
"Pete C." wrote:

A downstream setup is garbage (more lines, cumbersome, etc) and who wants to do that when your pump has a soap pickup tube built-in?
Power Wash wrote:

Nothing at all cumbersome and no more lines. One simple fitting to add to the output and you just disconnect the pickup line from the upstream injector you won't use and hook it to the new downstream injector you will use.