Power Pressure Washers - Which to Buy

I'm thinking of buying a pressure washer for cleaning the pavements, Car etc and as they seem to be about £30 - £40 in the stores now i'm wondering if they are powerfull enough for the price. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Reply to
Cal Mac
£40 quid jobbie does me. Basically wanted something to clean 20 years worth of crap off of the patio, it coped with this no problem, Slow but effective.

Reply to
Jim

On 20 Feb 2004, Jim wrote

Same here: bought a £40 one last year, and it did exactly what I wanted -- pressure-washed the deck and did half a dozen other jobs.

I think the difference in price relates more to frequency/type of use than it does to effectiveness of the pressure-washing.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

"John Stumbles" wrote in news:XRtZb.103$3B5.55 @newsfe1-win:

But get one with the twirly blaster, they really do magic up the effectiveness

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

One does have to be careful with the twirly blaster though - it will remove paint quite effectively if used at short range

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Also the more expensive ones have longer hoses (from what I've heard)

Reply to
John Stumbles

WTF is a twirly blaster?

Reply to
BIGEYE

Reply to
Harry Ziman

only works with the larger machines.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I bought a 40quid champion one from Focus. Had it two years now, it cleans the car well, I've done the patio with it, garden furniture, a load of steps, the drive, and cleaned the drains with the 15m drain cleaner (bought seperatly).

I like mine, only downside to it (compared to my dads 100quid one) is it doesn't auto cut off when you stop using it (which is not in itself a problem), and it can be a bit troublesome to prime for the first use, ie you have to run loads of water through it to clear any air blocks before you start.

Reply to
Scott Mills

Thanks a lot for the advice Guys

Reply to
Cal Mac

I bought a Karcher for around £100 but after about 20 uses it's started leaking internally. The little detergent syphon is also a waste of time as you knock the detergent bottle over. Not impressed thus far but hoping this was just bad luck as I'm still considering a new Karcher.

Reply to
StealthUK

Andy Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've never tried it on paint, but it seems a lot gentler on patios, etc, as well as much more effective.

My guess is it's because it cleans about 3 -4" square instead of about

1/2".

But I'm really glad I got one for my ancient Clarke.

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

snip

They are very effective. I succumbed to paying the exorbitant amount Karcher charge for all of their accessories and bought one recently. It did a marvellous job on the patio. Much quicker and effective than using the lance on its own. Bit messy though.

Why do Karcher charge so much for the add-ons? I would imagine if they priced them sensibly they would sell a helluva lot more. Reminds me of the Elektra Bekum cabinet saw I once had. The accessories for that were grossly overpriced also. Is it a German thing ?

Rant mode off

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
tpaul

For the same reason that a dog licks its private parts.

I wonder. Once you have the appliance, either you want the accessory or you don't

Not sure. I recently bought some Metabo bits (same company) and they weren't too bad.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

They're not as dear as the one I bought for me old Clarke - I've forgotten what the make was, the box is long gone, but it cost nearer 50 squid.

I think it was in Eytie firm that took on the line; I had to get it as it had proper British Standard couplings like the Clarke (which seems to be bulletproof, touch wood)

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

I got one of these about a month ago to replace my dead Karcher - next day delivery, and I'm well pleased with it ......... and it comes with a twirly thingie

Jim Crow

Not quite.

My point is that if the accessory was more reasonably priced, and lets face it the twirly thingy for cleaning patios is not exactly a miracle of modern engineering so the price they charge IS exorbitant, then they would have a lot more impulse buyers.

People like myself, who I like to think are a little bit more discriminating and can detect rip-off pricing from a long distance would also tend to buy them with less alacrity. I'm on my third Karcher now,( sold one, broke one), and this is only the second accessory of theirs I have bought in over 12 years of ownership.

Once bought SWMBO one of their over the shoulder battery operated window cleaners. It cost all of £65 in Makro which coincidentally was the price of the small plastic spare part needed when the handle broke. Even the local agent thought their spare parts pricing ludicrous. Needless to say the part wasn't bought and Karcher slipped further down in my appreciation

How to alienate and lose customers must be chapter one in their marketing hand book

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
tpaul