pressure washers

Hello,

Occasionally, I could use a gas engine pressure washer at rural jobsites where there are no water spigots to hook up to. Does anyone know if there are pressure washers made which can suck feed water from a 30 or 50 gallon drum? Would placing the drum up in the bed of a pickup truck be high enough to provide enough feed pressure? Any advice and / or info will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rich A. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
rich a.

you'll have no problem using your idea just keep your water source (drum) above your pump. Annd, DON'T reduce the the intake fitting from the manufacturer's spec's. I would do two things though. . . 1st. use at least 100gal. tank or two

55gal drums. 2nd if your going to use the pump more than once a week, pay the xtra and get a good pump. Like cat or admiral, general. NOT home depots. I do repair on pressure washers ands you can't get rebuild kits for those pumps. and they don't last if yyyou work em hard.
Reply to
Playintennis5274

NO,--- you need a feed punp to get 3-5 gpm at 40 lb minimum

Reply to
m Ransley

what the hell are talking about? ? ? you don't need a feed pump ! ! Hey brainiac... if your water source is above your pump inlet it's called gravity fed. Call cat or general and ask them. You moron

Reply to
Playintennis5274

and FIY, what do you think happens whun a plunger pump forces liquid out ? ? We call that a vaccuum which the draws more liquid.

Reply to
Playintennis5274

A friend of mine is sort of an inventor/ tinkerer. Check out his web site and contact him if it sounds right for you. Get his details for self contained pump/pressure sprayers.

Luck, Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

The one time I tried this, I was using my electric pressure washer ($98 from Home Depot) to move water that my Dad's sump pump was dumping on the lawn. Long story.

I had to get a watering tin and pour some water into the suction line, it was not self priming.

Yes, from a truck bed to the ground oughta work fine. If the faucet is off the side or bottom of the tank, not trying to siphon up adn over.

Some pressure washers turn off if the inlet pressure is lower than 25 PSI to protect the pump. Mine, I closed the water facuet one time adn it kept running. Cheep pump.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You most likely will not get enough volume with just a gravity feed system unless you use oversized piping all the way to the pumps inlet. To check this let the water flow without the pump hooked up. Make sure you have at least the pumps recommended flow rate. If not you'll starve the pump and it will act like it's surging. This will eventually harm the pump.

Reply to
tnom

Vacuum does not draw liquid. Atmospheric pressure does. With a gravity feed system on the bed of a truck you can at best expect he equivalent of 15 psi of push. 15 psi may not be enough to create the minimum flow rate desired.

Reply to
tnom

in a gas engine after the exhaust gas is... no here's a better example, any centriguel ( i know i spelled wrong) pump when liquid is forced out of the impeller housing more liquid is drawn in to replace the old. Vaccuum

Reply to
Playintennis5274

A foot of water makes 0.433 psi, so you might get 15 psi from a 55 gallon drum that's 15/0.433 = 35' tall :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I agree but, what I was trying to explain is that if the pump can reduce the atmospheric pressure at the inlet then the inlet line would have 14.7 psi of atmospheric pressure to create flow.

A pump such as a pressure washer is not designed to create any great vacuum. It is designed to be supercharged.

Reply to
tnom

Pressure washers don't use centrifugal pumps.

Reply to
tnom