Cheapest Sheetgood for outdoor use

I have built the frame for a small shed that will be in a very protected area. Now I need to buy some plywood for sides and a roof. But I know nothing about plywood All I need is something to keep water out and add a little rigidity to the structure. I would like to buy whatever HD might carry that is suitable for exterior use and is cheapest. 1/4" is probably adequate, if anything comes that thin. What do you suggest.

I thought about just using a poly tarp, but decided that was a little bit too flimsy, even for this. thanks.

Reply to
toller

You can use OSB but it will have to be painted or it will fall apart. T-111 is about $25 a sheet and has good appearance if that is a factor.

For the roof, I think 1/4" is probably too thin unless it is only 2 or 3 feet square.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check out the corrugated plastic panels at your box store. No paint needed, weatherproof, easily attached to 1 x 3 furring strips. Transluscent roof panels mean no windows needed. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

3/8" T-111 @ Home Depot. Was looking at it today
Reply to
Rudy

Sounds like the ticket to me. Might have to install some diagonal bracing is all.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You probly already know this, but with exterior rated plywood the grade ends in X.

Such as in Grade ACX, where the veneer on one side is A (smooth, paintable ) other side is C, (quite a few defects) and has eXterior glue......

If it dont have exterior rated glue, it likely wont hold up very long at all where any moisture can get to it.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

"toller" in news:5237d.7973$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

will hole if something pokes through it.

don't forget ventilation (heat midday summer)

Reply to
Choise76Smu