Poly on copper

Hi,

I have installed new copper pipes between the basement ceiling joists. I do not intend to drop a ceiling and cover up the joists.

Is there a good way of preventing the shiny copper pipes from fading? How about spraying them with exterior poly? Would that hold up to the heat of the hot pipes?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

This is purely for cosmetic reasons? I suppose an automotive wax might help keep them from oxidizing. Not sure how well a poly would adhere.

Reply to
GTS

We didn't have poly, but in the Marine Barracks we used lacquer to 'cheat' on keeping copper pipes bright.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Just guessing, but I wouldn't think the HW pipes would get hot enough that pretty much any kind of clear coat would not work. Just be sure to clean them good with something like rubbimg alcohol. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Silverware polish works great on the pipes, then a clear coat finish meant for metal. An automobile paint supplier should have a suitable product.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had a friend who used to do a lot of copper art work and he always used lacquer on things he didnt want to age. Not sure how this would work on hot water pipe though.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Where accessible, I've covered mine with the insulating foam slit cylindrical wrap. Figure it helps retain hot water and the cold pipes from dripping condensate.

Reply to
Frank

While I can appreciate the beauty of bright copper--- some sort of covering stands a better chance of lasting, and has the abovementioned added benefits.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I used to refinish alot of brass hardware and found Poly to yellow quickly when outside, maybe inside also but I forgot and just stayed with Laquer. Laquer is the way its been done for hundreds of years and still may be the best but if pipe is below 70f or humid it may go real bad and look milky white. Try an area with spray laquer, Plastics-Poly will be an experiment for you and may go yellow in a year. Im experimenting with turning copper green with acids, making it look 100 yrs old on exterior copper.

Reply to
ransley

You can always polish copper later with a salt/vinegar solution when it becomes dull, if you have not applied a clear coat finish.

Reply to
Phisherman

There isn't much that compares with the joy one can receive from admiring the shiny copper pipes between the joists in one's basement but if you spray them you will deprive yourself of the even greater joy of polishing them occasionally.

Reply to
dadiOH

You might first try some kind of cheap spray on laccure (sp?) stuff. You can remove it with the thinner if it doesn't work out.

Most folks just paint it to match whatever else is nearby.

Reply to
John Gilmer