How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

Page 3 of 3
On 10/2/2012 12:21 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Dog bites.

After falling backwards 4 foot off the ground, I would not even try doing work at 28 feet.
Greg

Call your local tool rental places to see who can rent you a 4" hole saw

<http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202717398/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId053&langId=-1&keyword=holse+saw+kit&storeId051>
$13 for a kit includes 4"

$12 at HF. Just picked up a set...and got a free flashlight!. Thanks.
Hope it actually drills. I've had HF hole saws which were useless.

$12 at HF. Just picked up a set...and got a free flashlight!. Thanks.
Hole saw cheaper than ambulance. Call the local hardware stores, and see if you can rent one. But, that one will probably be dull.
I need to cut a 4" round hole in a soffit, from underneath, while standing on a ladder. The soffit is not horizontal, it slants upward from the gutter towards the house.
We may have some access to the soffit from above, perhaps enough to drive a screw through with a right angle drill to locate the position on the outside, but I don't think I have enough room to get a jig saw in there.
My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor for this one hole, so I'm looking for creative suggestions from this fine group.
I'm think that I don't want to use a router, upside down, while standing on a 28' ladder. I'm not even sure a jig saw will be that easy to use.
The hole will be covered with the cover shown at the link below, so it doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to feed (and attach) a 4" aluminum elbow to the hole.
http://cdn.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DSC_0135.jpg
Maybe just a series of holes drilled in a circular pattern will be good enough, but I'd prefer soemthing a bit neater.
Suggestions?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Turn a router into a compass...
1. fasten a piece of ply to bottom, needs to extend more than 2" on one side
2. drive a nail thru the ply 2" from center
3. have at it
But since you don't want to use a router, draw a 4" circle with a regular compass and cut it out with whatever. As you suggest, a series of holes works just fine. Router is easier/faster though.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I like your suggestion, I've even used something similar in the past - at ground level. ;-)
Issue here is I don't think I have enough room to use the extended base on a full size router up in the limited width of the soffit.
Now that I have the 1" deep hole saw set from HF I'm hoping against hope that there is enough room above the soffit to get the hole saw started with the right angle attachment for my drill. We'll see.
I also bought new blades for my HF MF tool, so if all else fails, a bunch of plunge cuts should do the trick.
Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)

Send us the final debriefing, and a picture if you can get one after dark with the HF light.

The final debriefing will have to wait.
Once we pulled back the insulation we found that there is not enough room in the soffit area to use the 4” aluminum 90 that we were going to put in there.
We're going to either have to find some flat ductwork that will fit down into the soffit area or go out through the roof.
Please report back, but not yourself. You'z goys. (Brooklyn)