How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

Page 4 of 4

Well it is no problem if there is just *one* and it is only on for one hour. But there are hundreds of these little lights around a home and they are on 24 hours a day 365 days a year...
As with everything else when being frugal, things add up! Learn to add.
These little power on lights are in everything these days. Try to find a power strip without any lights in it. GFCI outlets have little lights in them now. Everything has little lights.
I know electronics and electrical wiring, so I was able to disconnect all of these lights around my home (the green light in a GFCI was the straw - I said Enough!). With the GFCI's, I rewired my house so these outlets are now on 20 amp switches. They are off when not in use.
A good example are outside outlets which are GFCI. Maybe used once or twice a year in my case, but the GFCI for that is always on and using a little electricity.
My electric bill went down $2.50 a month after doing this. (GFCI's also always use electricity even if they don't have any lights.)
That is a $30 a year savings. I need that money a lot more than my electric company does.
My neighbors on the other hand (who can't add), buy things everyday which cost $1 or $2. They say it is just $1. And they do this several times a day. Buy soda pop, coffee at the stand (it is just $2.50), etc.
Then by the end of the month, they are a couple of hundred dollars short and don't have enough for their bills.
Learn to add. Little things add up...
Note: I don't suggest that people go out an hire an electrician to modify their existing wiring, that would be silly. I can do these things for almost nothing, so that is a different situation. But if you are rewiring your kitchen for example, place a couple of extra switches next to the light switch - have those switches turn off the counter top outlets. This will remove power to the GFCI's and to parasitic loads (like appliances which always use electricity). Just flip several switches and everything is off in the kitchen!
On parasitic loads... Leaking Electricity: Individual Field Measurement of Consumer Electronics - Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory http://enduse.lbl.gov/info/ACEEE-Leaking.pdf
On 17/05/10 6:53 PM, Glenda Copeland wrote:

These have an NE-2 neon bulb which draws about 0.6mA, so at 120V it's around 0.07 watts. So 1000 lighted switches would be a little less than a 75 watt light bulb.
Suffice it to say, the watt-hours you'd save with even 50 unlighted versus lighted switches would barely be measurable, even over the course of a year.
Some people unplug things like phone chargers when not in use. I.e. an iPhone charger draws 0.2W even when the phone is not connected, close to 3X what a lighted switch draws, but still a trivial amount.
You can buy power strips with individual switches to avoid unplugging wall warts all the time. But you'd probably never recover the cost of the power strip in saved electricity.

My experience with a lighted switch is that its neon lamp is either an A1C ("mini-NE-2H") or a C2A (NE-2H). Those get more like 2 mA.

One of these can easily consume 2 KWH per year.

Plenty of wall warts consume a watt or two even when no load is connected. As in basically all of the older technology ones that weigh more and get warm to the touch even when operated unloaded. That is fairly easily 8 to 16 KWH per year for each one.

On 07/06/10 12:07 PM, Don Klipstein wrote:

I was going by the NE-2, which actually is about 0.03W at 120V, but an NE-2H is about 0.2W, and an A1C is about 0.14W. So if the light switch was never turned on, and it was an NE-2H, it would be about 1.7KWH per year, so you're right, about 2KW a year if it's an NE-2H.

== Which is negligible...not to worry about...not to budget for...not to have ulcers over. In other words...forget it. ==
On 09/06/10 1:22 PM, Roy wrote:

I agree, probably 25 cents per switch per year. But didn't someone claim that they'd reduced their electric bill by $2.50 a month by getting rid of a bunch of these sorts of loads? I doubt if it was true.

== Yes, quite cheap for a light to indicate the location of switches in the dark. People are a puzzle sometimes. ==
-snip-

"Meditatio" by Ezra Pound When I carefully consider the curious habits of dogs I am compelled to conclude That man is the superior animal.
When I consider the curious habits of man I confess, my friend, I am puzzled. Jim

25 cents a year is enough for me to rip them all out from my house. I already got rid of the doorbell because the doorbell transformer costs close to $10 a year. It dont cost anything to post a sign on the door that says "KNOCK HARD".
If you want to see your light switches at night. put one of those solar powered sidewalk lights in a window in every room.
On 06/10/2010 05:38 AM, Boycott snipped-for-privacy@worldwide.com wrote:

I couldn't find any white Decora style dimmer switches that *weren't* also lighted in any store near me. That's the main reason that I have two lighted switches in my house (the design department wanted Decora on the first floor.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel