How long to cool a house from 90 to 70

Page 1 of 2
I live alone. I use a window ac unit most of the time. I have had family visit. I turned on the central ac and it has been on for about 8 hours and it is only 77.

Come on Terry......give us a little more to work with.
Cooling a house from 90F to 70F means bringing all the contents of the house (interior of the insulation, if there is any) from 90F to 70F
AND cooling & condensing the water vapor in the air as well.
BTW 70F is way too cold 74 to 76F with adequate humidity reduction is a more reasonable temp.
How big is the house? How big is the AC? What's the temp & humidity outside? Are talking Phoenix or Atlanta? What's the sun exposure of the house? Shade trees?
Eight hours to go from 90F to 77F doesn't seem too unreasonable.
Bob
If you've owned this house for any length of time your should already know the AC performance.
Bob
If there is more than two hours from starting the A/C for the temperature to go down to the required level you have either too weak A/C or it requires reparing.
m wrote:

I disagree. 20 minutes per degree +/- seems reasonable to me. I'm pretty sure our central A/C could accomplish that. Since he's trying to get a 20 degree drop, six or seven hours wouldn't be out of line.
His system is apparently going a bit slower than that, but isn't out of range if it's humid or if he has lots of windows and it's a sunny day.

you want to look at leaking ducting and insulation issues..if there has not been any additions to the house and the central system was installed with the correct size for your house and its not leaking freon.. then duct leak and insulation may be the problem

Your unit is undersized, you have too many leaks or not enough insulation.
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 20:37:30 -0700, Terry wrote:

That's fine if it's 90 out. You want no more than 15 degrees difference and most central air won't deliver much more than 15 unless your a/c contractor gave you an extra ton of capacity.
Meat Plow wrote:

Huh? The "difference" isn't between inside and outside. It's across the coil.
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:32:21 -0500, CJT wrote:

The coil? Lol you crack me up, who is going to measure that besides you. And yes the difference is between being hot out and cool inside, 10 - 13 degrees should be the max.

So when it's 98 out, it has to 85 or more inside?
mm wrote:

That's what he seems to be saying. Ludicrous!

It was 111 degrees here today! I should be satisfied with 96 degrees inside? Fortunately, that 15 degree concept wasn't used to size my system.
SJF
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:07:36 -0700, SJF wrote:

Well around here 15 is fine, wasn't thinking of people who live where it gets that hot.
Meat Plow wrote:

If 15 degrees is the most cooling you'll ever want, you don't even need A/C.

Ok you set your air how you want it and I'll set mine how I want it deal? It was 83 here today and I had the fan on in the attic and the windows open and was very comfortable. So I guess no, I don't need to be chilled down to a friggin ice cube to be happy. Don't bother replying, I won't read it.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
Meat Plow wrote:

I merely pointed out that you were spewing nonsense. Then you tried to change the subject. That's ok with me, but don't try to deny it now.
Frankly, I don't care whether you reply or not.
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:42:52 -0400, mm wrote:

Sorry I was speaking in my area where 90 is about the max. A bit narrow minded on my part.
Meat Plow wrote:

Nonsense. When it's 100 degrees out, it's not 90 degrees indoors, or even 87. We can pull it right down to 70 if we're willing to pay for the electricity. Ever been to a shopping mall on a hot day?
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:16:58 -0500, CJT wrote:

Ok you've argued with everyone about this in this thread. Time for you to fuck off.

- The coil? Lol you crack me up, who is going to measure that besides you. - And yes the difference is between being hot out and cool inside, 10 - 13 - degrees should be the max,
I measure mine. Pretty simple way to make sure your unit is working correctly. (just one of many checks)
Insert the temp probe before the filter, then insert the temp probe in a output duct right after coil box. I use this device, when I'm not grilling...
http://tinyurl.com/2dv4ea