How Do You Put a Wire Wheel on a Bench Grinder?

The shaft on a bench grinder is threaded to hold a grinding wheel, not a wire wheel. The center of a wire wheel is much thinner, so the shaft isn't threaded to draw up on the thin wheel.
How do most people mount the thinner brush-wheel on the smooth unthreaded zone of the shaft?
-- Ken
Washers

washers, normally theres a adapter plate available
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:30:13 -0500, Ken Hall

Wire wheels are great. I use mine much more than my grindstone (mostly to clean up old or rusty tools and other things).

And to toss them at the speed of light into the abyss:)
Al
Washers - sounds unaminous to me <chuckle>

Thanks for the replies. Washers is what I've used before, I thought maybe there was a more standard way.
-- Ken
There should be a couple of large beveled washers and a nut with a bench grinder. How is the grind stone held on?
--
Steve Barker

"Ken Hall" < snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:31:06 -0500, "Steve Barker"

The grinding wheel is thick enough to span the smooth (unthreaded) part of the shaft. The wire wheel is not.
-- Ken
There are wire wheels with thicker centers also. Or use the proper 5/8" washers.
--
Steve Barker

"Ken Hall" < snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
replying to Steve Barker, nightscape wrote: I have never seen a wire wheel with a thick center. I don't understand why. Everyone is having the same problem, including me. When you start piling washers on front and back...good luck keeping the wheel running straight and balanced.
On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 3:44:04 PM UTC-4, nightscape wrote:

Unfortunately, all of the responders were either killed or seriously injured 9 years ago when the wire wheels flew off of their bench grinders after being improperly mounted.
While your response is appreciated, it is 9 years too late.
Ken Hall wrote:

Best be sure your bench grinder has low enough RPM's to match the safety rating of said wire wheel, particularly critical if you don't have the proper flanges.
Do you like your eyes? Wear safety goggles & a face shield before you switch it on.
Just saying.
And never walk barefoot near the grinder with wire wheel. They throw lots of little wires, which are miserable to try to get out of your feet. I know from experience.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Big-ass washers, or a wooden disk cut with a hole-saw.
Ken Hall wrote:

If ya wanna get fancy like me, use a 5/8" bore by 1/2" thick round bore solid shaft collar as a spacer:
http://www.staffordmfg.com/index.htm
Course, I happened to have one handy at the time. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Buy a wire wheel that is designated for use on a grinder and it will have the correct hub size for that use, possibly needing some bushings that are included with a new wheel.