Rusty Roof

I have a pole barn that has a galvanized corrugated steel roof. Last year the roof started to get some rust in a few spots. After this winter there is a lot of rust showing on the roof.

Is there any roof coating that will either slow down or stop the rusting? I don't want to replace the roof at this time and would like to try and cover it up as well as stop or slow the rusting down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

Paint it. Any roofing contractor that does metal roof work can spray it for you. Ideally it would be sprayed before the rusting started. but they can either spray over or clean the rust off. I would have it cleaned off and painted. People also leave it untreated and they will last for years but look ugly.

Reply to
Mark

So is the paint that a commercial company uses available to me? And does it have to be sprayed?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

A roller would be of no use on a corrugated roof, I am sure your roof is not flat enough to roll, brushing would be torture, spraying best.

For the coatings and/or paint and primers use the internet, paying close attention to major paint manufacturers where they detail all their paint products and their uses. Also check roof coating companies. There should be something there that you like and can apply.

Reply to
EXT

A couple of choices...if it is indeed just simple corrugated, can take it off and turn it over and have a whole new side. The other basic alternative is to use one the rust converter products to stabilize the rust and then, optionally, paint. There are a bunch of online suppliers available. I posted some links not too many months ago to the same question. Look for farm product suppliers can help to locate some less expensive alternative sources for sizable volumes than most of the "regular" channels. Your local farm supply/farmers' co-op may well have it in stock, in fact.

Reply to
dpb