How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

Page 3 of 6

On 2/14/2010 12:30 AM, Brent wrote:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&taskId5&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId (035&prodTypeId972&prodSeriesId$354&swLang=8&taskId5&swEnvOID"8
the "HP Universal Print Drive for Windows PCL6" without a hitch by pressing the black download button next to the driver's name on the page corresponding to the link you provided after your text "driver request" in your above e-mail. Perhaps me or someone else who seems to be able to download from that page can e-mail the specific driver(s) you want from that page as e-mail attachments? Peter
Add pictures here
βœ–
| Brent, that site works for me, on 2/14/10 at 11:44 AM EST. I just downloaded | the "HP Universal Print Drive for Windows PCL6" without a hitch by pressing the | black download button next to the driver's name on the page corresponding to the | link you provided after your text "driver request" in your above e-mail. | Perhaps me or someone else who seems to be able to download from that page can | e-mail the specific driver(s) you want from that page as e-mail attachments? Peter
That's neither the hardware driver nor TWAIN driver. That is only the PCL print drver.
--
Dave
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:55:56 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

Oh no. It's hard enough to download any driver on the HP ftp site web page, let alone the right driver!
Of these choices for the LaserJet 3200m http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
Which is the TWAIN driver?
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript
hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility      hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e point and print bundle HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 driver HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 Point and Print Bundle HP LaserJet 3200m PCL 5e, PCL 6, PS Driver Bundle hp LaserJet 3200 software update HP LaserJet 3200m PS Point and Print Bundle HP LaserJet Windows XP Communication Patch HP LaserJet 3200m PS All-In-One Printer
Or are none of these options the TWAIN driver?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Unfortunately, "none of them" seems to be the answer:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit 9447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId•0340

βœ–
Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:
1. I go here http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
2. I select the download button for the hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility
3. It tries to get this file ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
4. But the error message invariably is The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.
Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe
Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs? ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 14, 2:58 pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory stick.
Add pictures here
βœ–

-- aem sends....
Add pictures here
βœ–

I would trust my life with most of my neighbors. They are a great bunch of folks, have known them for at least 15 years and gone thru births, deaths and marriages during that time.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't even know most of my neighbor's names, and have never been in their houses.... Nothing against them, mind you, it just never came up. We nod and wave when we are out on our respective evening walks, one guy borrowed my ladder once (which I happily lent, since he surprised me with a cleared driveway a couple times before I bought my snow blower), and we shoot the breeze when a house goes vacant, and all gather for the realtor open house. But we don't really socialize. Only reason I think some of them even have computers, is because my router shows them banging on the door.... (Not on purpose, I'm sure- just typical big-box promiscuous wireless setups.)
Guess I got stand-offish living in apartments all those decades, what with the constant turnover, and too-tight quarters. But having an old-fashioned neighborhood like you do is a very nice thing....
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:04:11 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

If that route would have worked, I would have substituted "local library" for "friendly neighbor".
Either way would work IF HP actually supplied the TWAIN scanner drivers for the Laser Jet 3200 m on their web site.
8:48:06 PM shows others have tried and failed.
The necessary TWAIN drivers for the scanner on the HP 3200m are NOT available for free on the HP download site. You have to order a replacement CDROM.
Now, at least, I know what I need to do. (finally)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:15:53 -0800 (PST), hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

8:48:06 PM seems to be that NONE of the scanner TWAIN drivers are available directly from HP's free web site.
:(
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brent wrote:

Works fine for me, like downloading from HP almost always does. I'm not a fan of their bloatware client applications, but never had any trouble finding drivers. Like others have said, I think something about your connection is choked down, or your firewall is trying to protect you. You may need to make the HP sites 'trusted sites' in whatever browser/security/firewall packages you are using.
Of course, until you figure it out, you could always just take the document down to Kinko's or someplace, and have them scan it to a thumb drive or disc for you.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
βœ–
aemeijers wrote:

The last time I had a really serious software issue was with the first version of Win95. But, then, I had been through the trials of Win 3 to try to overcome their kernel problems....made a computer user of me :o)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:57:04 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document and then printing that photograph to PDF with the cutePDF freeware printer driver.
But the results are substandard - and scanning directly from the HP 3200m LaserJet to an OCR-capable PDF file on disk is really the way to go.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:12:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

I should mention that the reason the results sucked were mostly that some strange effect cropped in the picture so that NONE of the four sides were parallel with each other!
I'm not sure why, but, somehow the camera introduced a bending of the edges!
Somehow, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper, when photographed, had the sides bent at a slight angle such that cropping could only be done by cutting into the margins.
Even then, the edges of the text didn't coincide evenly with the edges of the cropped edge of the paper.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brent wrote:

Google "barrel distortion" and "pincushion distortion".

Three options.
First, if your lens can fill the frame with the document through its entire zoom range, try different focal lengths and see if it has a low-distortion sweet spot--if it does then remember to use that for document copying.
If it doesn't have a sweet spot that's good enough, then you need to do distortion correction.
To do distortion correction, first check whatever image editor you are using and see if it has a built in capability--if so try that. If it's not good enough then you need a third-party product. PTLens works and is cheap, DxO has more features and is not so cheap. Both have free trials.
Or you can if you are using a DSLR or Micro 4/3 camera get a purpose made macro lens.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 2/15/2010 10:05 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

document as large a percent of the image as possible, back down and make the document a much smaller percent of the total image. This should help with the edge distortion as there is no distortion in the middle area of most lens.
To get the final image, crop the image to document size. Most text documents do not require a significant number of pixels in the image to get a readable image. I have seen 640X480 document images that are quite readable. Most modern cameras, even with significant cropping will give you more pixel in the image than 640X480
Add pictures here
βœ–

Or use any of the super-zoom P&S cameras which have extremely low geometric distortions. A good example being the Canon Powershot S2, S3, and S5 IS P&S cameras. All using the same lens design. Perfect for document copying projects.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page5.asp
"Barrel distortion - 1.0% at Wide angle, Equiv. focal length: 36 mm
Pincushion distortion - 0.1% at Telephoto, Equiv. focal length: 432 mm
The S5 IS exhibits remarkably low distortion given the huge focal length range - 1.1% barrel distortion at the wide end, and no measurable distortion at all at the full 432mm telephoto end. There is also only barely measurable - and hardly noticeable - vignetting."
This is something that few if any DSLR lenses can accomplish. There are other super-zoom P&S cameras from other companies with similar exceptional performance. Hunt them out. In the above example, the barrel distortion is mostly at the wide-end and nearly all of the full focal-length zoom range is devoid of geometric distortion.
No need for overpriced DxO bloatware to try to correct all the problems with overpriced and special-use DSLR novelty glass.
(When are you DSLR Trolls going to realize that your hopeful imaginings are never going to win against reality.)
If you absolutely must frustrate yourself with badly corrected and overpriced DSLR optics, you can get a little break from the money you've wasted so far by using a free "Lens Correction" plugin from this link
<http://www.photo-plugins.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task Κt_view&gidh&ItemidC> Usable with virtually any editor that supports plugins, including all the freeware ones.
Granted, there are better plugins out there, and most editors these days include lens-geometry correction filters already built-in. But if you are without, the above will probably suffice. Use the zoom buttons and then move the image so a border of your image is up against the viewing frame, then make that edge aligned straight with the viewing pane's straight-edge.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's usually the photographer, not the camera. It's caused by not having the viewing axis of the camera exactly perpendicular to the plane of the painting. If you're not used to doing that it's a tricky thing to get right.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brent wrote:

Wonder how you got into FTP??!! When I downloaded a driver, it just gave me a window to save in.
Add pictures here
βœ–