How difficult is a dishwasher installation?

Page 2 of 2
Dave Martindale wrote:

At 67, I still work on guitar amps for my kid and his friends, just repaired furnace logic control board for a friend's gas furnace. Lots of soldering and dealing with small electronics parts. That head band mounted magnifier is very handy when I R&R IC chips. And once a week I play in local concert band with my euphonium. I can still read my music without wearing glasses.
(Edwin Pawlowski) writes: |
| > I'm not much of a handyman, but I have done simple stuff like | > installing a ceiling fan, garbage disposal, etc. What do you think? Is | > installing a new dishwasher using the existing connections a DIY | > project? | | If you can handle those jobs, you can handle the dishwasher. The difficulty | is more age dependent since you have to get down on the floor to make the | water connection. That sure seemed easier 10 years ago.
It was easier 10 years ago. Some of the newer models have much less room to work around the water connection. I just replaced a reasonably high-end Kitchen Aid with another, and with the old and new side by side the difference was obvious. I think I would have needed a very special wrench to tighten the compression connection with the unit in place, so I replaced the copper with one of those flexible hose connectors that could be tightened before installation.
Warren wrote:

In addition to the other excellent advice offered so far, consider improving things as long as you're under there...
If the electrical connection is hard-wired into a junction box, consider replacing the wire nuts, etc., with a plug and outlet.
Replace the solid water pipe with a longer, flexible hose and install a cut-off valve.
Give the project a try; can't hurt.
The electrical connection is a code issue??? I assumed that what was there was legal??
If you can do a garbage disposal and a ceiling fan, you can do a dishwasher. Only real thing to watch out for is leaks.
professorpaul wrote:

I'm sure it was. But sometimes the configuration can be improved upon. For example, a very short connection from the washer to the wall such that you have to wiggle back and disconnect the wire nuts, solder, tape, and/or cover plate just to get the washer out.
The whole enchilada would be simpler if the junction box was equipped with an outlet and the washer was equipped with plug.