How did the burglars enter?

Page 3 of 4
On 4/7/2012 10:28 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Let me add that some towns, like Colts Neck, have no discharge ordinances.
http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article110692-2.htm
Rebel1 wrote:

I have a relative who has been a lawyer in NJ forever, if I ever go back for a visit I suppose I'll be leaving the pistol in TX.
What are they going to do if the National Registry for CHL comes about? Only the non-residents won't be able to carry!
--
Y'know, you can't please all the people all the time... and last
night, all those people were at my show. -Mitch Hedberg

What about the coming national reciprocity? Then only non-residents *will* be able to carry.

Pepper spray may be illegal to purchace, but foaming wasp and hornet spray is perfectly legal and VERY effective. More effective than bear spray against bears. Won't get you out of an assault charge if you use it, but it is legal to own AND carry. Even 16 oz at a time.
On 4/7/2012 11:03 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Excellent tip. I hope the NJ politicians don't read it; otherwise, they'll ban it.

Clare really should do some internet research. The "wasp spray for self defense" has been debunked, many years ago.
Hey, lets lock Clare in a cage with a can of wasp spray and a hungry bear, and that will help take care of the problem.
wrote: foaming wasp and hornet

Excellent tip. I hope the NJ politicians don't read it; otherwise, they'll ban it.
On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 12:57:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Better yet, Stormy can come and make a nuisance of himself and I'll try it out on him. Friends in AlBEARta carry it with them all the time when they are in "back country".. The non foaming stuff is pretty useless apparently, but the foaming stuff is supposed to burn the eyes and snout, and it sticks around, and you can see where it hits. Also less likely to "backfire" on you if you have a headwind. Pepper spray into the wind will dissable you AND the bear.
And nowhere in almost an hour of googling did I find it categorically "debunked". NOWHERE was there ANY indication of it having been tried and failed. Only one case of some guy saying he got it in his eyes and it didn't hurt - after being stung 20 or more times by wasps he had sprayed with the stuff. Must have been different stuff than what I use on wasps, because once they've been hit, they drop like a rock.
The neurotoxins used in most good wasp sprays can cause serious damage so you do not want to be casual about it's use.
As a side note - apparently spray Ben Gay is used by bouncers in some areas where pepper spray is illegal to carry and is also QUITE effective.
Rebel1 wrote:

So why not go next door to another state to buy one?

Holy shit! Non-lethal is *bad* too?

Incredible.
--
I love blackjack. But I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted
to sitting in a semi circle. -Mitch Hedberg

So why not go next door to another state to buy one?
On 4/8/2012 8:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For one thing, NY and PA are almost as bad.
Here is the complete NJ statute: http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf
Note in 13:54-2.2 Permit required, you need a permit to possess a handgun. So buying one out of state doesn't exempt you from the needing a permit.
Here's an outline of the procedure in my home town:
http://manalapanpolice.org/firearms-applications
R1

Note;you cannot go to another state and legally buy a firearm from a gun store or legitimate dealer(FFL). 1968 Gun Control Act. in every state,you have to show ID proving you are a resident of that state to buy a firearm. you also have to pass a NICS backgrgound check,and there may be a waiting period before you can take the gun home.
UNLESS you buy from a private seller. but then IIRC,you've broken the law against interstate transport of a firearm. but IANAL. in most states,people are still free to sell their own firearms without going through a FFL ---AS LONG as it's not across state lines.
You also have no idea if the firearm you bought had been used in the commission of a crime.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

As has been noted here several times, the NICS check is not required for licence holders in some states. The license itself is the check.

No laws against interstate transport. How else would one move guns from one place to another? Some states may have laws against possession within the state but there are no interstate laws against it. Most states even have reciprocity with other states, which would be senseless if there were in interstate ban on transportation.

The seller is not required to ID the buyer. Perhaps if they're both standing on their respective sides of the border?

Point?

Not only is that true, 18 USC 926A specifically permits interstate transportation of a firearm (conditions apply).
You can still get screwed, however. A recent case involved a traveller from Boston to Florida with a change of planes at Newark. The second leg of his flight - Newark to Orlando - was cancelled. That left him with a pistol in his luggage and a subsequent trip to jail when he tried to check his bag the next day.

UPS.

UPS (and FedEx) accept firearm shipments ONLY where at least one of the parties has a Federal Firearm License, importers, law enforcement agencies, etc. Not individuals.
Further, the package has to go Next Day Air which, for a pistol, starts at about $50.
I have a Glock that suffered a malfunction (look up "Glock Kaboom"). It will cost me $55 to send it to Glock for replacement.
I check the couch cushions daily for spare change. It's slow-going.

Acccept? I've never had them open a package.

...and the cost for his arrest?

Don't buy plastic guns. ;-)

Yeah, I thought about that. It's conceivable that the delivery man will note that the destination is somewhat related to firearms and take company policy steps. If, as a result of a subsequent inspection, the sender has been found to have violated the shipper's policies, the sender exposes himself to being taunted a second time.

Yep. My carry piece, now, is a CZ82. Plus a fold-up .22 as my BUG (back-up gun).
Interestingly, a CZ82 is a "Curio & Relic" firearm which means it can be shipped to and fro based on a C&R license ($30) from the BATF. An amazing number of weapons are on the C&R list and, if you have a C&R license, can be shipped directly to your door without the noxious NICS business. And, some say, you can use the post office to do the shipping.

I don't regularly carry but I do have a 92FS in my computer case when I travel home on weekends. I don't have a CCW, right now, though (~two weeks).

Got a list of C&Rs?
G. Morgan wrote:

It's against federal law. A handgun can only be obtained through a dealer with a Federal Firearm License in your state of residence.
There is at least one exception I know about: For thirty-bucks you can get a "Curio & Relic" firearms license from the feds. This enables you to take direct delivery of C&R firearms from a dealer in another state.
Here's the straight skinney: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics /
There are an amazing number of modern guns on the list - all it takes is for a museum to write a letter to the BATF stating that a particular weapon has "historical" significance.
Robert Green wrote:

And that's a bad thing because...?