Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger

Page 2 of 6

notbob wrote:

I wonder what percentage of lawnmowers with deadman switches have not had them bypassed or disabled? A few exotic magnets took care of mine the first time I fired it up, and within a week I dug up a big cable tie to immobilize that silly rear skirt so I could pull the mower backwards. (How can you mow under stuff without pulling it backwards? Idiots.)
My changes will take 30 seconds to reverse once it comes time to sell or junk the mower.
--
aem sends...

My bet is a pretty high percentage are unmodified. I haven't seen the need to disable the dead-man switch on mine. It easily restarts so it's not a big deal. Mowers aren't like they were thirty years ago. OTOH, the backwards thing is a PITA.

Why?
aemeijers wrote:

It was the first thing I did when I put the engine on my current mower. I use an old Snapper body (aluminum) from an era before the deadmen, so I removed the mechanism on the engine.
Jon

yes, and if i had to disengage my mower every time i stopped to pickup trash or move an item, my clutch would be toast. That is the first item to be by-passed when i buy one. The second item is that tree destroying ROPS. Gotta use your head to run machinery.
--
Steve Barker

The first thing I by-passed was the engine cutoff under the seat.
Gotta use your head to run machinery
Hasn't that happened in England already? I mean, about knives and scissors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

As long as they don't ban grinders, we'll do fine.
At work a few years ago, they banned opening the windows, both because the POS HVAC system kept getting confused, and because the windows were worn-out junk that had a habit of falling on people's fingers. They even screwed some shut, in the wings and floors with the worst windows.
I happened to work on one of those floors. We were the techs who did the computer stuff for the building. We all had tools. When they came around and screwed them shut, we all shrugged and said 'whatever'. Within a week, every last screw had vanished. It took the powers that be a couple tries of replacing them before reality sank in.
(and yes, for the windows that kept falling down, we fabricated sticks.)
--
aem sends...

On 8/11/2010 8:29 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I want all tools, vehicles, consumer items, etc to be as dangerous as possible and lawsuits for injuries outlawed. I want vehicles to explode and burn to a pile of ash that blows away in the wind leaving little or no trace if there is an accident. I want Darwinism to run rampant in this country until all the dumbasses are gone or significantly diminished. I don't know if I'll survive because they surround me. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

industrial accidents is training, not working when tired or otherwise impaired, and a hardass foreman that rips a new one for anyone he sees not following safety protocols.
--
aem sends...

On 8/12/2010 12:50 AM, aemeijers wrote:

Remember the guy who lost his finger because he stuck it in a hole in a machine? The safety people took the idiot back to the machine and asked him to show them what happened, the moron promptly stuck his other finger in the same hole and lost it too! 8-)
Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed, we wind up with, well, you know......... the whole country screwed up.
TDD
It would be like being in a public place, surrounded by homicide bombers with bomb vests. You and I will have to stay home that day.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You believe that it less likely that there will be an accident if someone uses something more? It doesn't quite work that way.
Do you have life insurance? Homeowner's insurance? Car insurance? Ever use any of them? I'll take a stab at it and guess you've never needed the first one...yet...but as far as the others if you haven't used them, why do you have them?
Trot on over to rec.woodworking and ask how many people over there have been bitten by a saw. Those are people who use saws every day. No one gets a free pass on accidents. Not amateurs, not pros.

re: Trot on over to rec.woodworking and ask how many people over there have been bitten by a saw.
Then ask them if they have replaced the saw that bit them with a SawStop.

You're missing my point, DD. The price premium is high - now. It'll come down. The price is immaterial to the fact that it is a user- selectable safety system that actually works, doesn't get in the way of cuts, and is invisible in use. It's better technology.
A better question to ask over at the wreck would be, if you had a choice of paying $2000 now and getting the tip of your finger back, would you?

The price will not come down until the patent runs out, in another fifteen years or so.

False choice. I didn't choose to spend the $2000 (more than doubling the price) and haven't needed to get a finger back.

As soon as someone comes up with a competing technology the patent is useless and the price drops hard.

There is no "competing technology". He has the IDEA of a sensor detecting a person's digits tripping a brake that stops a blade, patented. The patent is pretty basic to the problem at hand. The inventor is a patent lawyer. You don't think he's covered his bases?
Everyone trusts "technology" to cure whatever problem there is. That's why we have the leftist morons whining for more solar and wind power.

If everyone has your negative attitude, then yes, there never will be. Give the recent jury award for an injury, I'm sure other companies are looking into a different method of stopping saws. No matter how complex a puzzle, patent, or secret code may be, if one man can make it, another can break it. Let's talk again in 3 to 5 years.

You *obviously* don't understand patents. He has this one locked up tight. It has nothing to do with "technology", rather "function". A better brake wouldn't get around the patent, nor would a better detection device. It has nothing to do with "attitude". Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Perhaps it is not so cut and dried, as you imagine. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1389013 Fifth post down.
Gass was not the first or only one to think up a saw brake, he was just the first one to patent one and get it to market. Note the number of patents his patent references: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=26&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=%28%28%28table+AND+saw%29+AND+brake%29+AND+blade%29&OS=table+AND+saw+AND+brake+AND+blade&RS=%28%28%28table+AND+saw%29+AND+brake%29+AND+blade%29