Hot cover on wall switch?

When I have turned off the kitchen light at the wall switch, I have noticed that the cover is very hot. Is this normal?

Reply to
Gypsy Moth

Hi, No. Is it luke warm or hot to touch? Maybe wires loose on the switch or it's too old, worn out. Take a look.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you have a dimmer switch, possible.

Reply to
Anonymous

Potential fire hazard, leave it off until you ascertain the cause.

Reply to
beecrofter

If it is not a dimmer switch, you have a problem and it should be investigated. It could be a fire hazard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Perfectly normal ONLY if it's a dimmer. The higher the wattage, the hotter the dimmer. If it's a metal switch plate it'll be more noticeable than with a plastic plate

Reply to
RBM

It sounds like your dimmer is running hot, you can cheaply increase the wattage rating of a dimmer just by replacing the plastic wall plate with an aluminum wall plate, that will act as a good heat sink, (but still doesn't mean you should exceed the max rating of the dimmer). Plastic wall plates really stress dimmers that are running above 70 percent of their rating. Or put a 1000watt dimmer on a 3 bulb fixture and it will run real cool if you're worried, maybe the builder installed one rated too low for the bulb watts you have.

Reply to
RickH

By any chance are we talking an aluminum-wired house? This is typical symptomology of an impending failure, aka fire hazard.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Since you said SWITCH, this is a very dangerous fire hazzard. I'd disable the breaker for that switch till you find the cause, or work on it NOW. Switches dont get hot, not even warm, unless there is a fault. If however it's a dimmer, they normally get warm (not HOT). What is it?

Either way, open the box and tighten all the screws (with power OFF). Also look for broken wires and burn marks on the switch. Replace if necessary. In fact, if it's just a common switch, spend the $2 and replace it.

alvinamorey