saw on a rope

I've seen flexible "wire" saws that can bend a good bit. These wire saws have a grit coating. I need to cut down a tree and was wondering if anyone has ever used something like this on a rope. You tie ropes to either end of a "wire" saw, toss one end over a branch and pull back and forth on the ropes to cut the limb.

I need to take down some high branches and don't have the $$$$ to pay anyone. Don't mind climbing up high, but sawing/working up high is another thing. I get spooked fast.

The branches are way beyond the reach of any poll saws I've ever seen.

Thanks

Reply to
okey

here's a multi-segment pole saw ~18 feet

here;s a flexible saw that could be used as you propose....

but be careful! A large limb coming down from height is dangerous. Large limbs can break before the cut is complete & rip the tree's bark badly.

Proper / safe tree trimming requires care.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Ya , good idea...Stand directly under a limb your cutting off with a wire saw on a rope...Is your life insurance paid up to date ?? If not do so for your family....

Reply to
benick

Hi, Cutting down a tree? How big and high? Once I did with a small gas chain saw.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Two people standing far apart would work well with a saw of that sort.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

-snip-

I've got one in the garage. Might just be me, but it takes a good deal of strength and co-ordination to use the darn thing. My son and I did manage to finally cut a 6" limb 20 feet up in a tree. We had 30 feet or so of rope on each side of the saw- could only cut the branch where it was horizontal- and it took the better part of an hour.

Maybe if we did it every day for a year or so we'd discover some sort of rhythm- but it was just plain clumsy this time around.

A tree-man would undercut the branch- you can't with those saws.

Call a tree guy- the one with the smallest ad in the yellow pages.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

1) Hardly necessary. You put one rope end in each hand and work back and forth. With two folks you often end up fighting each other because you get out of sync. 2) You can stand well to one side with this gadgets. It make not be 100% safe but a lot better than climbing the tree or being on a ladder. 3) The one I had looked like 3' or so of "chainsaw" chain. It had a metal tab on one end so that it rotated to keep the cutting edge down. One end of the line had a small "sand bag" attached so that you could throw it over the limb to get things started. I think I paid almost $40 at Sears.

I'm in my mid 60s so it had taken me a fair amount of time to cut things using these gadgets and, therefore, I have been tempted to use the ladder and some power equipment. But if you don't use power equipment they are a reasonable alternative to actually getting up in the air by some means. A younger person in good condition (and gloves to keep the narrow line from diging into his hands) could get a lot of use from these gadgets.

Extention poles just don't "cut it." In the real worl in real trees, you often want to cut something over20' in the air. You also end up being in greater risk of having the brance hit you on it's way down as you lost the advantage of the long extension when you step to the side.

Reply to
John Gilmer

(snip)

Not to mention, that unless you are cutting the branch right at the main trunk, they are close to useless. You are trying to cut one spring with a sawblade attached to the end of another spring. As soon as the saw teeth dig in, the pole and the branch are locked together, and cutting stops. I'll probably take the blade off mine next time I use it- it just gets in the way. It is still sort of useful for the hook to pull down dead branches and widow-makers, and for the too-small rope-actuated lopper built in to it.

No, I've given up- any real trimming more than 15 feet off the ground or so, I'm gonna have to call the guy with the air-powered (or is it hydraulic?) chainsaw on a long stick, or the young and immortal guys who will climb up and do it by hand. I have a ladder that goes up that high, but last time I tried trimming something behind my back near the top of the ladder, my inner ears said Hell No! Just can't do it any more.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

sure stupid ass... that's what I'm going to do, stand under the thing. Are you retarded?

Reply to
okey

Looks like what I need. Thanks. Now to go cut it while I sand directly under it for benick's entertainment.

Reply to
okey

And found at that saw's website; Special instructions just for me! :-)

# Great for cutting high limbs. Simply add your own ropes to both handles and throw over a high limb to cut easily from the ground. Be careful not to stand under the limb as it falls.

Reply to
okey

Well, that's the way YOU would do it. There are other ways.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Oh bother! If the branch is sufficiently high, one has ample time to get out of the way before it comes close.

Unless you slip or something....

Reply to
HeyBub

on 9/13/2009 1:08 AM (ET) Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

With a long enough rope, one can stand as far away from the tree as the rope allows. You don't have to stand directly under a flagpole to raise or lower the flag with a long enough halyard..

Reply to
willshak

Right. The OP said he didn't mind climbing, so he could possibly climb a nearby tree, prop himself against a limb and saw from a greater elevation. That would take care of undercutting the limb, assuming the flexible blade was long enough and angle sufficient.

RicodJour

Poll saws are only used during elections. :-)

Reply to
1D10T

Two things or three. Some saws are a cable embedded with carbide chips. They work good. Another is a section of chainsaw blade that cuts in two directions. They make a wider cut, so take a little more effort.

Deciding where to make your cut is critical so it doesn't bind when it starts to fall. If you can, a cut under the limb will give you a cleaner break.

Don't underestimate those pole saws. I stood on top my pickup rack on a piece of plywood, and extended mine all the way out to 20' and got several that looked too high. You have to remember that those crescent shaped saws cut on the PULL. Again, plan ahead so you don't get pinched in there. Once you get the saw up there, and get a groove started in the right place, they are actually easy to use and cut fast, as you only push it up and let the weight of it help you on the cutting downstroke.

If it was me, the order of preference would be pole (or poll in your case) saw, carbide cable, then chainsaw segment.

Any way you go, key is getting the line in the right place in the first place. Electricians where I used to work used a Zebco reel on a slingshot to shoot a nut where they wanted to fish a 1/8" parachute cord, then the line. Getting the saw in the right place is half the work.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

sure stupid ass... that's what I'm going to do, stand under the thing. Are you retarded?

Ahh , more 2nd grade name calling...Your IQ is showing.......

I use a Homelite Electric, 15 Ft. Reach, Pole Chain Saw with an extension or step ladder to get the higher ones if needed....99 bucks at Homedepot....Works GREAT........

benick

.

He wasn't the one that started the insulting drivel. You were!

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

..

re: "You don't have to stand directly under a flagpole to raise or lower the flag with a long enough halyard."

True...but why wouldn't you?

Reply to
DerbyDad03