Horizaontal Clapboards: Nailed To Studs Only ?

Hello:
Just curious:
When horizontal clapboards are installed, are they nailed (only) to the studs ?
Or, to the studs, and between also ?
How do they know where the studs are if they are covered by the clapboards immediately prior to the nailing ?
Thanks, B.

That is the best holding power.

Not needed

You mark the studs on the sheathing before the clapboard is started. Use a level and a pencil or a chalk line.
wrote in message

they nailed (only) to the

are covered by the clapboards

clapboard is started. Use a

There's no sheathing under my clapboards
wrote in message

clapboards
As a side note - when nailing lap siding (esp. cedar), it's important that you don't nail the overlapping pieces together as it will restrict the natural movement and cause splitting.

I have never seen them nailed to anything but the studs. Because of the way the siding ovelaps you have two nails in each board, one at the top and one at the bottom.
If just covered with felt, you can see or feel the studs. If covered with OSB or insulation board you just follow the prior nailing pattern.
So if you are builing from scratch you now know how important it is to leave yourself a marker for the stud locations.
Colbyt

Nail only to the studs. You know where the studs are because you have struck a chalk line on the sheathing or tar paper before you started putting up the clapboards. If you didn't do that, then there is still hope - You can use a stud finder!
I am a big fan of the Hardee Plank cement boards. They only need a nail at the top with no nail at the bottom and therefore no nails showing as they don't curl after 20 years.
The only drawback is the dust that requires a mask when you cut them. But they now make hydraulic cutters/shears that removes that drawback.
JimL