Honeywell electronic air cleaner ?'s

I have a Honeywell electronic air filter that sits next to the furnace and right off of the fresh air intake. The filter makes a sparking noise when dust hits the filter and the filter has done a great job. The other day the filter started to make the sparking noise continually and even after I pulled it out and cleaned it thoroughly. Does anyone have any experience with this type of filter.

jst

Hire a professional. Definately Hire a professional. You are living in danger. Hire a professional.

Hire a professi>I have a Honeywell electronic air filter that sits next to the furnace

Reply to
Professional

system. I pulled the electronic filter elements out one at a time and found that the noise only occurred when one of the elements was installed. I carefully inspected the "noisy" filter and found two of the fins touching. I used a screwdriver to gently re-align the fins and get them separated. I noticed that where they had been touching there was a little dimple; probably where the spark was jumping continuously. I cleaned the filters per the Honeywell instructions with a little dish washing detergent followed with a very complete rinse. After letting them dry completely I re-installed them and the sparking noise was gone.

Good luck.

Reply to
Pabst

Another possible cause: The cover that you remove actuates a safety switch that prevents the unit from operating with the cover removed. (or maybe it just shorts out the high voltage when the covers off) The arm that actuates the switch on mine is just a piece of sheet metal. After a while it deformed a bit so it wasn't fully actuating when the cover was on, causing a steady arcing sound. I just bent the sheet metal a bit so it actuated fully when the cover is on, and it fixed the problem.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

with a vertical system orientation.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--