Tried this in alt.hvac but no luck ... I'd sure appreciate any
thoughts from anyone about what to try ....
I have an Emerson Electronic Air Cleaner - SST ... and have been
having some problems. Current symptom: operating light does not come
on when blower runs. This is one of those units where there are two
removeable charged cleaning cells. I was hoping someone would be able
to give me some pointers of what to do next
What I've done:
1) confirmed the power supply was bad ... replaced the power supply
and the air flow monitor. After I re-assembled it ...
2) the operating light flickered on and off during operation. I
thought there was a bad cell, so I ...
3) tested each cell individually by placing it in the duct, braced it
with a spacer to hold it in place, and then put the power pack back on
and operated it. Unfortunately (sorta) they both ran ok. Operating
light came on strong and steady when it was supposed to. I say
unfortunately because now I don't know what's wrong.
4) So, I figure, they're dirty. I soaked both for an hour plus in hot
water with Wisk added and manually cleaned all the ionizing wires to
get any build up or little lint balls off them. Closely inspected all
the plates-- nothing bent, nothing touching each other, nothing lodged
between them. Rinsed all down, let dry for about 3 hours, and
5) Worked great. Operating light came on strong and steady when
blower ran, turned off when blower turned off. Watched it through
several cycles. Everything looks great.
6) Came downstairs this morning just to be satisfied that everything
was working right, and .... no light. Blower's blowing, and no
operating light is on.
Now I don't know what to try ... any suggestions? Thanks .... Scott