Home Depot Warning

You're welcome.
Also, if you use "McAfee Site Advisor" and some common sense, it's highly unlikely that you will ever have a major problem.
http://www.siteadvisor.com /
There is also a product called "LinkScanner", that will scan links before they are opened. I don't use this because it slows my computer down.
My father uses it, along with Site Advisor, and says it doesn't slow his computer down....our computers are similar AFA processors and memory, but he has a slightly faster ISP than I do.
So you can try it out if you want to http://www.explabs.com/products/lslite.asp
Also, if you use "McAfee Site Advisor" and some common sense, it's highly unlikely that you will ever have a major problem.
http://www.siteadvisor.com /
There is also a product called "LinkScanner", that will scan links before they are opened. I don't use this because it slows my computer down.
Somehow my wife's computer got a program (malware?) call AntiVirus Pro 2009. What a mess. There is a constant popup telling her it is infected and takes you to a site to pay to activate the program to get rid of it.
I un-installed it, removed some registry lines but it still won't allow me to use System Restore, or go to the Norton, McAffee or any other legitimate AV software download site, Windows Update, etc. I spend hours trying to be totally rid of it. I re-installed Norton from a CD but I can't go to the website to update it.
And she wonders why no one is allowed to touch my computer.

Sounds like your best recourse is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall all the programs. I like Darik's Boot and Nuke for this: http://www.dban.org/ .

If, Ed was my neighbor and I was able to get my hands on his computer I could remove whatever it is that he has, but telling someone what to do is very hard through writing. It is for me anyway.

Dude, you DON'T have to erase the HDD to reformat your computer!!!!!
If, Ed was my neighbor and I was able to get my hands on his computer I could remove whatever it is that he has, but telling someone what to do is very hard through writing. It is for me anyway.
How hard can it be? Just start hitting the delete and ok buttons.
Sheesh. Do I gotta tell you everything?
Steve ;-)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AntiVirus Pro is a particularly insidious bit of software and can be difficult to remove. Removal is, however, possible and straighforward.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-pro-2009
http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/antivirus-pro-2009-removal-instructions-antiviruspro-2009
Malwarebytes' "Anti-Malware" seems to be the most recommended by the folks at microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup:
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/antivirus-pro-2009-removal-instructions-antiviruspro-2009
I got the information from bleepingcomputer and was able to be rid of the basic program. That is where I got the registry information. I still can't get to certain web sites though. I'm wondering if I remove and re-install Internet Explorer is the problem would be repaired. I'm going to try making a bootable CD on my computer from a Norton website to see if that helps.

Don't do that!
Ed, download the Firefox browser and see if you can go to all sites.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox /
Post back and back with results....as I wrote earlier, it's very hard for me to "fix" a computer through written text, but I'm more than willing to help you even through private emails.
I'm a hands on type of guy, as most of us are in this forum, but I might be able to help you through email.
If you need help, email me at bigelile07 at yahoo.com
Ron wrote:

Firefox will give your cat warts. If you don't have a cat, you should be okay.
On an XP system, you can't uninstall IE - it's part of the operating system, not a stand-alone program. You can disable it, but you can't uninstall it.
If one is unable to access certain sites, the fault is most certainly not with the browser. The first thing - and easiest - to check is the HOSTS file.
It is extremely bad practice to use anything from the Norton website, except their sooper-sekret removal tool. Norton is the barnacle of the software world; extremely difficult to remove.

I was thinking there most be some blocking file to prevent System Restore and Windows Update as well as the AV contact. Makes a lot of sense.
I found a HOSTS file in windows/system32/driver/etc but it has not been modified and there is no list of anything. Is there some other HOST file to find?
I eliminated any file that I could find with a date of 11/8, the day the malware installed itself, but it may have drug in a file with a different date.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, there's only one HOSTS file (or should be only one). It's a list of IP addresses you wish to block. In fact, there are replacement HOSTS files (available via downloads) that will block oodles of dodgy sites.
Do your problems persist while in SAFE mode? (see Help)

Also, post your problem over on "microsoft.public.widowsxp.general newsgroup" Lots of experts there.
If you need help, email me at bigelile07 at yahoo.com
Long weekend ahead so I may give that a try. Thanks.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Be careful about the warts. They may be the contagious kind.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

BTDT. Good example of why you always want to spool off your data to a backup, and keep your distribution disks in good order. Sometimes the quickest cure is to Nuke and Reload. (Didin't Ridley say that in one of the alien movies? ...'nuke them from orbit- that is the only way we can be sure.')
I'll throw in a plug for PCTools antivirus and spam tool. $35 a year for a 3-machine license. Been running it for about a year and a half now, and (knock on plastic wood), no problems. And I probably am not the most careful internet browser. I had been using Symantec corporate under the free (but legal) license from work, but the later releases fought with XP so bad I finally said the hell with it.
-- aem sends...
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Try the F-Secure on-line scanner. Also check out last months PC World for other on-line sites.

On Tue 25 Nov 2008 11:20:13p, Ron told us...

I do use McAfee Site Advisor, and have never really had a problem.

Ill take a look at it, but I doubt I really need it.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 05:57:08 -0800, HD Shopper wrote:

If your computer is connected to the Internet it has spyware. If it doesn't, it will in less than 10 minutes (5 minutes if a teenager is using it). Spyware is not paticularly scary, nor are viruses--make sure you don't back up any files you don't care about and do a full scan before you backup.

Many virii ARE quite scary. You can totally screw up a system in no time by opening the wrong e-mail attachment -
Spyware is less scary, but is one of the most common contributors to identity theft. And it slows your system down.
you'd have to open the attachment. just opening an email can do no harm.