Home Depot True Stories

Page 4 of 4

I knew the answer, but was seeing if you did. He paid for all our sins. The good part is that we are forgiven and don't have to be perfect. As far as east is from west ...........
Good thing, or I'd fry.
Steve

True, you don't need to be perfect -- but you *do* need to be repentant.

You might want to think that over a bit...
--
Regards,

Steve,
I'm not here to judge you- that's not my place. One thing, though, you seem to be going through an awful lot to try to get folks to say you're not wrong. That might be your conscience telling you something. On the other hand, it's possible that the situation was different than we understand it to be from afar and that you didn't intentionaly try to cheat anyone (or perhaps the price you paid was the price that HD wanted you to pay). In any case, what's done is done.
None of us are perfect 100% of the time. I just hope most of us try our best...
-Tim
Tim Fischer wrote:

Tim,
I get the same reaction with all the effort he is going thru especially when each has some sort of clever response like he made to me:
"GO TAKE YOUR PROZAC AND LIE DOWN!"
George
Steve B wrote:

Why is it a unilateral thing? You won't speak up if it is in your favor but if you think it is too much then you will speak up?
A good rule is to reverse roles. For example suppose your paycheck was short by $800, would you complain or just say OK? What if you went to your boss and mentioned the shortage and he responded that its a wash anyway because (same as you rationalized that hd somehow screwed you in the past but you chose not to settle it properly) he saw your car parked in your driveway on a day when you were supposed to be working two years ago?

Imagine this ( Rod Serling is speaking) a car drives slowly through a small town. Not just any small town, but one that has secrets to hide. Dark secrets ............
GO TAKE YOUR PROZAC AND LIE DOWN!
Steve
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:34:51 -0700, "Steve B"
On your wife? Is she that ugly?

Well of course I have not pointed out every little thing. It all comes out in the end. For example, I've bought things only to find they were defective and never returned it, or an important piece was missing. There have been times I've overpaid and didn't realize it 'til I was halfway home, and didn't go back. This is the same concept as the "give a penny, take a penny" tray at many cash registers. You never see those empty, do you?
It's not a question of honesty, it's a question of practicality. It's best for everyone this way. And if you asked store executives behind closed doors, they'd tell you the same thing. It costs more money to get it all right than is involved in the transaction to begin with.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:00:53 -0700, "Steve B"

I do so, whenever I notice. At food service places, they generally just tell me to take it anyway. Presumeably that's because fixing it is too much trouble.
Why are you putting so much effort into justifying your behavior? You're not feeling anything like shame, are you?

No. Just indignation at self righteous individuals who say they don't do these things or never have and then start preaching.
Steve

Way to externalize, dude. You go.
Steve B wrote:

Steve, I will waste neither the time nor the bandwidth recounting every single time I reported an error in my favor to a cashier, teller, etc. in my nearly 50 years on this planet, and there have been A LOT. The most expensive error I remember was being undercharged $1,000 for building materials because the cashier missed a decimal point, and she was so relieved she nearly cried. I guess in your view I'm pretty stupid, but I sleep well at night. I have pointed out every error I have ever noticed, although I willingly concede that perhaps there have been errors made in my favor which I failed to notice. I am certainly not perfect, but I have never knowingly taken advantage of someone else's mistake.
I think you will find that this will be a VERY long thread, because I believe at least half of the world is honest, even when no one's watching.

Yes, I, too must admit that there have been times when I was honest. Mainly when it's going to land on the cashier and they will have to pay.
I just thought that with all the "Home Depot Sucks" threads and derogatory comments about borg stores that I would share one.
I went through channels. Each employee handed me to the next. I paid and left. I did not alter or conceal anything.
I to this day do not know that it may have been intentional on the part of the manager to just get rid of the last of two discontinued doors, one of them damaged.
I sure do get a kick, though, from those who howl in indignation and righteousness as if they were challenging the Jewish carpenter for his spot at the top of the honesty chart. And sound as if they believe they have a chance of doing so.
I can live with my deeds. I have done good and bad. I've gone back and fixed some. I've pointed out other mistakes when they were happening and not taken advantage. And for those where I truly had evil intent, I have confessed, or made them right.
That's what's nice about being flawed and being able to admit it. You always get another chance, and you try to get it right next time. If there were no forgiveness and we didn't get another chance, and you had to get it right all the time, we would live in the perfect world these pontificating hypocrites are trying to tell me they live in.
Life is not a test. If it were, we would have been given better instructions.
Steve
I went to Lowe's a couple of month's ago to buy drywall. I bought 20 (twenty) 8' x 4' sheets and drywall sheets generally come in a pack of two. If you look at the huge pile of Sheetrock, two sheets are usually attached together by a piece of paper along one edge. The price sign is listed as $8.86 (or something similar) per 8' x 4' sheet.
I go to buy my sheets and not until I get home do I realize that I was charged $8.86 for 10 (of two 8' x 4' sheets) of drywall. Seems goofy to me that they sell them only as a "two pack", yet price them as only a one-pack. Apparently, the cashier did not know this and charged each two-pack as the $8.86 one-pack cost.
A week later when I as back at Lowe's I mentioned this to the cashier and she blankly looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe the sign was wrong? What is the going price for ONE 8' x 4' sheet of Sheetrock?
snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com wrote:

Last time I bought drywall (January of this year) it was around $7.50 per sheet.

--
Regards,
Steve B ( snipped-for-privacy@zydeco.net) said...

A couple of years ago, I was visiting relatives in Brooklyn while I was nearby on business and gave them a hand with wiring an outlet for a new clothes dryer they had. The material they had was wrong, so we needed to run out to the BORG to pick up the correct gauge cable.
The person who cut the 10 gauge cable labelled it correctly but somehow the cashier rang it up at one-tenth the price it should have been. We pointed this out the cashier, but she mumbled something that was not heard clearly by either of us. No correction was made.
Well, we tried. It was the BORG who originally sold the wrong gauge cable in the first place which couldn't be returned.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"