Hollowing out a book

Page 1 of 2
Anybody ever carve up a book to conceal something within?
I considered:
1. Clamping the pages down between thin boards and attacking the result with a jig saw.
2. Again clamping the pages and going after the clump with a Harbor Freight Miracle Multifunction Tool
I've got lots of books to experiment with, but experience trumps experimentation, hence the question.
Thanks in advance.
--
(I bought a book on Lupus just for this project. I want to hide my emergency
stash of Vicodin.)

I did one once with an exacto knife, several pages at a time. It was slow but the edges were clean so it would close normally.
Paint the inside cut area liberally with elmers glue, diluted with water, put a couple sheets of wax paper under the cover so it will open and clamp it up.
HeyBub wrote:

Lifehacker has several articles,
http://lifehacker.com/157211/diy-secret-hollow-book
On 7/10/2012 5:53 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

The glue advice is a key part. I did one by brute force with a razor blade but it was a chore and I had to glue it when finished.

If someone pulls the book off the shelf to inspect it they'll know right away it's not a regular book, so don't go kidding yourself. The edges of the pages are only important if you plan to keep the book laying around instead of on a book shelf, so rip out the guts, keep the binding, and use some ripped down 1xwhatever or even laminated cardboard to make a frame to fit inside the fake book.
Better yet, make a good hiding place. Creating hidey holes is one of my specialties. I always build them into projects. Customers love 'em and I do it as a freebie since they're fun to make. There was a book I took out from the library a long time ago, "How to Hide Anything" - forget the author. Good stuff.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Hide-Almost-Anything-in-Plain-Sight /
RicodJour wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)41964365&sr=8-1&keywords=How+to+Hide+Anything

http://nzbindex.nl/search/?q=How+to+Hide+Anything+-+M.+Connor+%28Paladin%2C+1984%29+WW&age=&max%&minage=&sort=agedesc&minsize=&maxsize=&dq=&poster=&nfo=&hidespam=0&hidespam=1&more=0
RicodJour wrote:

From experience, I can tell you that thieves don't read, hence they've no reason to even be in the same room as a book. Most, moreover, don't know how to read.
But for those that do, I'm not going to build my secret place in a salacious novel - like "Lady Chatterly's Lover - that might incentivize them.
RicodJour wrote:

One of the drawers in my closet has a partition that has been partially hollowed out, access from the bottom edge of the partition. The partition looks/seems fixed but will lift out if the drawer is removed. The partition isn't very big but I figure it is big enough the hold about $10,000 in 100s. More if it was holding diamonds :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
RicodJour wrote:

I don't want to hide "anything" "anywhere;" I want to hollow out a book. In this book, which I bought specially for the purpose, I intend to secret a bottle of Tylenol. Then, the altered book (whose name is "The LUPUS Book, by Daniel J. Wallace, M.D., ISBN 978-0-19-508443-6) I'll give to my doctor.
He'll get the joke inasmuch as he was as big a fan of "House" as I was.

You should have bought a pre-hollowed-out book.
I find it curious that you're asking people how to cut paper. If you can wait until after she gets home from day camp tomorrow, I'll see if my 6 year old nephew is willing to talk you through it.
RicodJour wrote:

Would have if I could have found a book on Lupus that was internally vacant.

Thanks for the help, but I'm reluctant to take instructions on using sharp objects from a female nephew.
It's pretty obvious your relative cut the wrong thing.

Of course you want to hide something somewhere, and not the usual something you hide in the usual place. If you weren't hiding something you could just hand the bottle and the book to the doctor, but you're going for the guffaw, so you're hiding something you want someone to find.
As a self-professed legal-eagle you should know that you are "planting" something and you are trying to entrap the doctor's sense of humor. People with a good sense of humor rarely need props. Here's an example: http://tinyurl.com/83fcdgu
Don't be that guy.

Your 'internally vacant' is begging for a rejoinder, but that's just too easy.

I made up the 6 year old. I'm not a good liar. When I need pointers I'll be sure to ask. :)~
RicodJour wrote:

Marco Polo, on his deathbed, was admonished by his priest to recant all the incredible tales he told. He responded: "Father, I have told only a small part of what I have seen."

X-Acto knife is how I've done it.

I interviewed with a company last fall that made security devices (dye bombs, and such). One of their products was a tracker that was inserted into a hollowed out pack of bills. When the pack found that it was no longer in the bank, it triggered a GPS tracker and cell phone. It would then call home and they could track the money on a web site (the web site was given to the authorities). Neat stuff. There were *piles* of cut money all over the place, in every denomination. The tracker was exactly the same size as the bill from the edge of the SN to the other SN. There was several million in stacks of hollowed out bills laying around the place. The centers were "recycled". ;-)

Mostly found in $5 bills. So if you rob a bank, politely say "no fives" :-)
I know how they activate, but for the sake of security I'll pass on that.

Try our new line of Ferragamo Farrady cage bags - guaranteed to leave people gaping!
RicodJour wrote:

Eh, okay now... You're going to give it away!
On 7/10/2012 7:53 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

Professional crooks/thieves know all this stuff, it's a running battle to keep one step ahead of them. That's why it's only the stupid, ignorant, uninformed criminals who get caught. Or because someone they are associated with drops the ball. O_o
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There are not too many professionals out there, most criminals are dumb as rocks. <g>