HOA sides with thieves

Page 2 of 2
bob haller wrote:

Hmmm.
According to a 2004 study (United States Fire Administration), there were about 16 fire deaths each year attributed to burglar bars or similar impediments. There are over two million burglaries in the U.S. each year.
You do the math for your own situation.
On 5/16/2012 10:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I agree....bars sufficient to keep out burglars may also keep out fire/rescue folks. Happens every now and then, esp in high-crime neighborhoods. I rather like the idea of a "safe room" (especially in a rural area) with a sturdy door and a cell phone that stays charged and in the room.

And why not a 200' tunnel from the safe room in case the burglars brought a couple cans of gas to torch the place? I'm just glad I don't live in a high crime area. Somebody did steal my wheelbarrow recently. Probably the scrap metal collectors that cruise by all the time. Bastards. If I was in a high crime area, I'd look at a few options. 1. Move. 2. See if crime could be reduced (Neighborhood watch, etc.) 3. A loud alarm system and a Remington autoloader backup.
Making my home a fort isn't an option.
--
Vic

Why would a thief live there? Any with half a brain will move to a place with a stronger thugs union (Democratic Party).
Norminn wrote:

Believe me, some piddly burglar bars are not going to keep out the fire department! They've got gear that can pull down* the whole damn house! The apartment house across from me caught on fire about three years ago and the first fire truck (they ended up with FORTY-TWO pieces of fire equipment on the scene) pulled down the IRON PICKET FENCE and didn't break a sweat.
Your idea of a "safe room" has much merit. I'm reinforcing a walk-in closet to act as one, even though my house has burglar bars. I'm replacing the interior sheerock with 3/4" plywood and putting up a steel-clad door with interior throw-bolts. The closet will have an electrical outlet for the 'phone charger. And a .38 revolver with a box of ammunition.
I'm not sure whether a slot to pass a food tray will be required - I'm thinking multi-use here.
--
* I recently found out where the term "Hook & Ladder" originated. Around the
turn of the last century, municipal fire departments were not tasked to put

You bet. Those rigs aren't pulled by horses anymore.

My plan, too. I have a perfect room in the basement for a bomb shelter. It's cement walls on two sides and there are several "rooms" (bare 2x6 studded partitions) between it and the outside walls. I figure it's a good place for some T&G ply I never has a chance to use. I'm not so worried about burglars as weather, though.

Kinky!
On 5/16/2012 7:34 AM, bob haller wrote:

He should just have them "on" the door but the security door will stop the majority of burglars that want easy access to the doors.
Think about it this way: You see someone hauling a large screen TV out of a window or a door; which one looks more suspicious?
--

gonjah wrote:

They also give you breathing room when you answer the door, so a criminal can't rush in when you open the door.
They also reduce the intrusion level of solicitors (like Mormons/Jehovah's Witnesses/*PIRGS) who blithely ignore a "No Solicitors" sign and bang on your door anyway.
Jon
On 5/16/2012 10:59 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

We put up a "no solicitors" sign because they were waking my nephew from his naps.
A guy rang anyway and I asked if he read the sign. He told me "I did but I don't smoke."
He also doesn't read very well! I don't 'solicit' either - I don't want lung cancer! lmao

bars prevent break ins by making it harder for a criminal to access the building. A security system notifies the homeowner and hopefully the police that someone has just broken in and is in the process of doing things that they're not supposed to be doing.
nate
gpsman wrote:

I have burglar bars on the window and doors. I also have a monitored alarm system, both intrusion and fire. Should the stink-eyes defeat those obstacles, I have a pistol in almost every room augmented by a shotgun in the room of the master's repose. We're also protected by a Maine Coon cat, although, admittedly, he's pretty much of a wuss.
Why would you ask such a question? Unless, of course, you wanted to find out whether a trip to my house during the dark of the moon (or the total solar eclipse this coming Sunday) would be worth the effort.
On 5/16/2012 11:23 AM, HeyBub wrote:

What's that new show about people preparing for the Apocalypse? You're not one of those are you? ;)
I've found a good insurance policy and good door/window locks is about all I need but I live in a pretty nice neighborhood.
--

gonjah wrote:

Pretty much, but for a different reason. I spent eight years as a deputy sheriff and have seen what the scrots, squints, goblins, cut-purses, do-bads, and stink-eyes do just because it's dinner time.

Pustules are mobile.
On 5/16/2012 2:45 PM, HeyBub wrote:

My dad, RIP, was a cop/sheriff for several years. He was pretty much the same way.

True that. Luckily, I live in a place with an extremely low crime rate. When I lived in ABQ you could pretty much count on a robbery or two.

Even life insurance isn't going to save yours.

Same old story. Baby in danger! Vet ordered to take flag down! Ect ect! Call the media cause they always love it. Going after the nasty old HOAs always sells newspapers.
The other side is the same old story too. Buy a house, sign for the rules, then cry loudly when you get caught breaking them.
I have a security door. But I applied for an HOA permit *before* I put it up. This is one case where getting permission IS easier than getting forgiveness...
AJL wrote:

specifically mentioning "burglar bars" or similar. Further, some neighbors HAVE burglar bars on their houses. After finding nothing in the rules on point and seeing similar devices installed, what's a homeowner to conclude?

If there is no restriction in his HOA rules then he can tell the HOA to go suck eggs.

Are this guys burglar bars HOA legal? Maybe the neighbors bars are HOA approved. They allow that type of burglar bars in my HOA but I doubt that they would approve the POS I see in that picture.

Simple. Read the HOA rules. If it's there you can't do it, and visa versa. If the HOA has quit enforcing the rules then it's open season.
BTW I'm glad this guy isn't near me. He seems to keep old doors stored on the porch, doesn't trim his bushes or cut the yard, and he lets his dog run loose... ;)
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Man-concerned-about-neighborhood-crime-fights-HOA-over-burglar-bars-151651355.html

Well, as some of my previous posts regarding HOA's might suggest I am not a big fan. I lived with a Gestapo group in Andover, KS for about 9 years and I will never live in an association neighborhood again.
With that said, bars do give the home and the neighborhood an image of not being such a good place to buy or live. From the sounds of the news story that might be exactly the case.
RonB