HOA sides with thieves

Page 1 of 2
"[HOUSTON] Just a few weeks ago, after the birth of their son, [the homeowner] had burglar bars installed. But now the homeowners association said the bars hurt property values and must come down immediately. And if they don’t it will start fining the [homeowner] $200 a day."
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Man-concerned-about-neighborhood-crime-fights-HOA-over-burglar-bars-151651355.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

Normally I DONT LIKE HOAs rules however in this case what is the home owner trying to accomplish?
note the photo, theres a glass wndow in view at ground level.
a burglar could easily use the window to gain access.............
the home owners hard earned money would of been better spent on a good security system
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, I noticed that right away too. And those bars sure do look like hell. I would have gone with a security system as you suggest. Also, if he wants to make the door more difficult to gain access through, a more secure door correctly installed and a good lockset would accomplish most of what he's getting with those bars. I'd side with the HOA on this one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
-snip-

Unless someone has been tricked into or forced to buy a home that falls under HOA rules, I'll side with the HOA every time. There are lots of laws that we comply with that we have little control over-- buy avoiding HOA rules is pretty easy. Just don't buy the house.
Jim [just saw another where a lady is facing several thousands of dollars in fines for planting flowers where the rules say she can't-- Why?]
Add pictures here
βœ–

I would not go that far. HOA's can misapply the covenants or rules. Or they can make up new rules that exceed their authority. That's why sometimes the homeowners win if they go to court. But in this case, the guy may not have a leg to stand on. One interesting aspect is that some other homes do have similar bars. It would be interesting to see how they came to be, if they got approval, etc.
Add pictures here
βœ–

We'd have to see the black-letter rules. I doubt there's a section prohibiting burglar bars by name. Therefore a committee used their discretion to ex post facto bar bar use (no pun intended).
Or, equally probable, the HOA is filled with thieves* who oppose any obstacles to their vocation.
--
*Also poke-noses, cut purses, nay-sayers, and athletes of the tongue.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Makes me wonder what the back of the house is like? Easy kick doors, glass, and so on?
Might have been better use of money and energy to invest in alarm system, and buy the wife a couple baseball bats and pepper spray?

Yes, I noticed that right away too. And those bars sure do look like hell. I would have gone with a security system as you suggest. Also, if he wants to make the door more difficult to gain access through, a more secure door correctly installed and a good lockset would accomplish most of what he's getting with those bars. I'd side with the HOA on this one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 16 May 2012 10:42:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

The point of any home security is to convince the perp to hit your neighbors. All it has to do is look tough. If they really want your pop-top collection, they'll get it.

Baseball bat? Pepper spray. She'd have to get too close. A 9mm works.
...unless, of course, you're afraid to have it used on you.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If my gun is used on me, the perp will have to beat me to death because the gun will be empty.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Or perhaps your wife will get home before you?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Huh?
I CARRY my gun everywhere I go.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If ya' gotsta 'splain it...
Add pictures here
βœ–
the best spent money is no doubt some low cost outdoor security lights, a dog in the home, and some signs protected by ABC security monitoring service, even if the home has no security system....
smart landscaping outdoors to prevent hiding spots for the bad guys helps too.
the steel jail bar look really accomplishes little.......
Add pictures here
βœ–

Most burglaries occur during the day.

A family pet is fine. But getting a dog just for a burglary deterrent would be very high maintenance solution.

Agreed. Have used security signs (with no security service) for years. Before that I used to put those foil burglar alarm strips (remember those?) on the windows,

Good idea if the neighbors watch out for you.

Disagree. Bars (hopefully) makes the perp go hit another easier house.
Another suggestion:
Hide your garage door opener in your car so it can't be seen. In my area they break into your car (anywhere they find it-at work for example), get your address from the registration, steal the garage door opener, drive to your house, open the garage door, drive in, lower the door and empty the house at leisure. Happened to my neighbor and I even walked by during the burglary and was none the wiser...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nonsense. It is more of a deterrent than the signs. It makes the same statement, as well as improving security (of that possible entrance).
Add pictures here
βœ–

Moron, you admitted that "some signs protected by ABC security monitoring service" was useful. You don't think a security door won't be just as useful?

...or have a security system.

Irrelevant.
Bullshit. The FD can pull any security devices off in seconds.

Irrelevant.
All irrelevant.
Add pictures here
βœ–
bob haller wrote:

What on earth makes you think burglar bars must be easily removable?
I live in a large city. Admittedly my home town is not known for nannyism, but there are NO regulations like you suggest. Further, if the fire department wants entry, they have equipment than can reduce burglar bars to junk in less than thirty seconds.
On the other hand, burglar bars are a significant deterrent to cops trying to serve a search warrant... (they have to call, and wait for, the fire department).
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not always. When I working police/fire beat with a group in the late 70s, their bomb guys would come out, wrap some det cord (maybe a small patch of plastique, my memory is fuzzy on that part), take out the burglar bars and do a poor man's flash-bang at the same time.
βœ–

burglars bars must be removable from inside or outside in a emergency like a fire.
to prevent people from dying unable to get out. in some areas its just bedrooms, in other areas any room in the building.
bedrooms must have ingress egress windows, or the room isnt a legal bedroom
Add pictures here
βœ–

They must? Everywhere on the planet? A citation is in order.
Add pictures here
βœ–