HOA removes "Welcome home" signs for vet

"[ORANGE PARK, Fla] The family was rolling out the red carpet, so to speak, but the homecoming was dampened by the homeowner association rules. "They removed the welcome home signs and balloons and flags," says Natalie Boitet."
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid 1886&catid=3

Notice: that page does not work properly unless scripts are enabled. This, like MANY other web pages, are inconsiderate toward those who care about security, and disable scripts.
Gary H wrote:

Gadflys typically don't care about such things..
George wrote:

I trust you're not referring to me:
1. HOAs most definitely affect home repair. They can INSIST you repair your home or REFUSE to let you repair or decorate your home they way you'd like (as was the case here). As a consequence, many come to this group for advice in meeting their HOA's mandate: ("My HOA insists I deal with the very large hole in my front yard. What should I do?").
2. Sorry about those machines that can't view the web site; I keep my machine up-to-date and protected from malware so I didn't experience any trouble.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid 1886&catid=3
HOAs are ridiculous entities run by ridiculous people.
If you are trying to drum up sympathy for the homeowner whose decorations were removed, you won't get it from me, though. The homeowner was dumb enough to sign the agreement that legally binds them to live by the HOA rules, and rules are rules. They pissed in their own bed, now they have to sleep there.
This is ridiculous! How could the HOA do that? This is very disturbing. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com
Jmmv08 wrote:

For all of the publicity that HOA's get in regard to rules and law suits, seems some folks would think of changing the rules rather than just ignoring them. The odd part is that the family member being welcomed has lived under much more strict "rules" and limitations, and board members usually tend to be very supportive of military families. When people think they are "special", they tend to have problems. I have spent lots of time listening to condo residents (some of whom were board members) piss and moan about a variety of topics rather than present them to the condo association formally to bring change. Rules about signs are kind of nice, so neighbors don't have "garage sale" signs all year long, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@fellahmarketing-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Jmmv08) wrote in

HOAs are worse than Stepford Wives.
Dura lex sed lex! It's that simple. Seamus J. Wilson

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid 1886&catid=3