High pressure sodium fixture

Was trying to figure out why my dusk to dawn light quit. Jumped the light sensor and I could hear a slight buzz coming from the fixture. Unscrewed the 70 Watt lamp and put my DVM across the socket. Found out there is a heck of a lot of voltage there. The DVM made an arcing sound and quit. Display still comes on but no readings. Opened it and found the fuse blown. Thought that was it, but the meter is shot. How much voltage is in that socket anyway?
Al
from buffalo ny: sometimes when the starter circuit fails in a 110v hps 35 watt light we can screw in a 110v regular incandescent bulb and it lights. subject to your socket size may need a mogul to standard adapter. an hps bulb will not light up in a standard socket.
Big Al wrote:

if you screw a regular 110 incandescent (it's a 110 fixture ?) bulb in and it lights, then the ballast is at fault

So you need a new ballast, bulb, and meter:(
Your probably better off buying a whole new fixture, and meter with auto volt detect.
it sets the meter to the range needed, no more blown meters
Big Al wrote:

Peek voltage necessary for starting High pressure sodium 35-100 watts: 2500 volts! High pressure sodium 150-1000 watts: 4000 volts!
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Then I better follow the other poster's advice and get an auto ranging meter:) (And a 100 to 1 divider probe.)
Thanks,
Al
Big Al wrote:

HPS has a starter to provide a narrow high voltage spike to initiate the arc. I don't think you want to measure it.
bud--