HELP: stump removal

Page 1 of 2
I've posted several times before on this problem.
I had a black acacia tree ~16 in diameter. I pruned it heavily ~7 yrs ago and it sent up HUNDREDS of root suckers every year. About 1-1/2 years ago I took it down completely, leaving a stump ~10 inches above grade.
More suckers. LOTS of suckers. It's ruined my lawn and garden. Round-up weakens the foliage but won't kill them. I finally used Ortho "Poison ivy & Tough Brush Killer" late last year. It seemed to kill them but we'll see if they come back.
'k, here's the Q: I got a powder stump killer. Directions say to drill 1" holes all over. I got a 1" bit and it won't go in even an inch (wood too hard, even after 1-1/2 yrs). So I tried a 1/2 in bit. After 3 holes to 10 inches it broke off.
Any ideas how to killthis stump and stop the suckers?
Thanks a heap, -Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer. http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
Zz Yzx wrote:

Most plants have as much, or more, living matter below ground as above.
The stump is above ground but all the activity you see is taking place beneath it. I'd wager that the tree has internally sealed off that part of the stump exposed to the outside and any circulation within the remaining tree is taking place well beyond the "scab." You'll have to get your "stump removal" medicine well into the remains of the tree.
The 1" holes are probably your best bet - according to the makers of the stump removal compoud.
If your drill can't handle the torque, it's time for a BIGGER drill, say 1/2". You can such a drill for not much.
Zz Yzx wrote:

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow a few trenches into the stump.
Doesn't that dull the chain, rapidly?
Zz Yzx wrote:

I often take the tip of my chainsaw to burrow a few trenches into the stump.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Probably, but it's the end of the job and there's always a few spare chains in the truck. The guy at the shop sharpens for 4 bucks each and I usually take him 10-12 at a time for my two saws.
83LowRider wrote:

Takes about five minutes with a file to touch them up yourself, and it's not a difficult skill to learn.
Jon

I tried but did not succeed learning the process. I let my brother use the HF chain sharpener. You need carbide for stumps.
Greg

Yep, to the TOP poster.
I have used sawzall but that requires hard blades. A good soak and burn might be enough to stop growth.
I might just try drilling holes and salt. I might try just covering for a NO LIGHT situation. It's looking for light.
Greg

Google this but years ago I read to drill deep holes and fill with salt. I don't know personally if this works. I'm sure there are chemicals in the nursery to do this sorta stuff. Might want to ask a good nursery in your area what they recommend.

I'm told copper works, too.
4ax.com:

I do. Worked just fine for me about six years ago to kill a mulberry, after numerous other treatments had failed. However, it wasn't anywhere nearly as large as the OP's acacia (only about 3" diameter, not 16").
Zz Yzx wrote:

Dig it out.
Jon
On 1/29/2012 2:34 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Also stump grinders.
On 1/29/2012 1:34 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Dad had a small bulldozer back on the farm, we'd tie a choker to a stump and slap the dozer in low/low pulling most stumps right out of the ground. ^_^
TDD

Unfortunately I've the same problem. The only solution that worked for me is digging it out.
The easiest way is to hire someone with a backhoe to do it for you. The management of my house did want to pay to have it done so my older son and I dug it out.
Dig a circle about 3 feet (~1 meter) from the center of the stump and cut off every root you find. Then uproot the stump.
Dick
The one time I took out a stump, I used a Sawzall, and amazing number of Harbor Freight blades. Then, a cable tool "come along" to the back of my van, and keep pulling. had to cut a lot more roots, too. Came out, after a lot of work.

Unfortunately I've the same problem. The only solution that worked for me is digging it out.
The easiest way is to hire someone with a backhoe to do it for you. The management of my house did want to pay to have it done so my older son and I dug it out.
Dig a circle about 3 feet (~1 meter) from the center of the stump and cut off every root you find. Then uproot the stump.
Dick
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:25:31 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I would try everything else before I tried digging. Pulled about 30 feet of old evergreen bushes and a 3" tree. Even with a come-along cabled to a tree, I still had to dig and chop with the bushes. I soaked the ground first, and that just got me mud. Still had to dig and chop. The tree was all digging and chopping. Unless you need the ground right away, like you're putting a swimming pool in there, just cut flush and use the drill and salt. If you can cover the ground with tarp, that might kill off any "blooming." Wish I had done that instead of what I did. Don't know about Acacia though. I had a big Maple cut down, and they ground out the stump. Nothing came back, and what's left of the roots that had broken the surface are dead wood.
--Vic
http://www.ehow.com/how_12107210_kill-stump-acacia-tree.html

As long as you are using ferilizer, may as well just drill a 1 foot deep hole and tamp it full of super-phosphate , soak it with deisel fuel, fasten a fuse, stand well back and light.
Then just shovel the hole full.
What kind of bit did you use? Have you tried a self-feeding type like one of these?
http://www.swaintools.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategoryC
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.