Hello Kitty Toaster

Page 1 of 2
This toaster:
http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hello-kitty-toaster.jpg
is supposed to burn a Hello Kitty face on one side of the bread, but it can't do that unless it's set so high that the other side (the non- Kitty side) of the bread burns. Is there any way to make it toast more evenly?
All the heating coils are in series, so I can't cut the power to just some of the coils by adding a diode.
The bread is held in baskets that clamp the bread on the sides when it's lowered, and I tried making one side of the basket hold the toast farther from the coils on the non-Kitty side, but it didn't help.
I'm thinking of covering the non-Kitty side with a screen to block some of the heat, but I can't find a suitable non-metal material (to prevent shock hazard).

Use bread that has little age on it. The problem is, your bread is typical super market stuff, really high moisture content. It's made that way because water content = higher profit. Or find someone to make up a batch of real home made bread and odds are it will do much better in the toaster.
Joe
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:20:05 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"

Sorry I can't help with electric stuff. But if nobody else can solve your problem you might try a cat stencil. Lay the stencil on the bread and brush some butter on before you put the bread in a toaster made for sane people. Not sure if the butter will catch on fire, but if it does move on to marmalade and other things until you get it right. Or see if somebody sells one-sided bread so there's no other side to burn.
--Vic
On 8/26/2011 1:42 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

We use the one sided bread in ours, works perfectly fine. Mikek

It would be a lot easier to make a moebius bagel.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Stay away from the Klein bagels. You have to put the toaster inside to heat them. ;-)

I think one of those special toasters came as a built-in in Heinlein's tesseract house.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

It didn't work, though. It was built for use in another universe. :)

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I once went to the department store to get a toaster, and all they had was "bagel toasters." I had to ask the guy, "Will these toast regular bread?" He assured me that they did.
Didn't have any "hello kitty" bagel toasters, AFAIK.
Cheers! Rich
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hello-kitty-toaster.jpg
Just use aluminum foil. The basket that holds the bread to be toasted is made out of metal, right? Just cut the foil to the exact size of the bread and put it flat against the side that would burn. If you keep the foil inside the basket, there should be very little shock hazard, but don't let your local safety nazi find out. ;-P
Cheers! Rich
On 8/26/2011 1:20 PM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Asbestos.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:08:24 -0500, John S wrote:

Magnets!
On 8/26/2011 3:08 PM, John S wrote:

Mica sheets.

Excellent. I've looked through many boiler water level sight glasses which were mica lined, but didn't think of it. I see eBay has mica sheeting for sale, and elsewhere.
--Vic
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 16:32:59 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Not bad, not bad at all.
--Vic
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That reference is a little too ambiguous for those of us who don't know the bible, like us Catholics.

zero, and remove the last word.
Did I mention that last week I bought a toaster and they gave me this really nice bank?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Just don't plug the bank in, or it'll burn all your money.

So you want less power on the plain side, relative to the stencil side. - capacitor across plain side. But this will increase Pout on other side, so add a series choke to the toaster, or run it off a small transformer to cut a bit of voltage off the supply - snip some of the R wire out of the plain side, and wire it in on the stencil side - convert the lead to 3 wire, with a wire for the centre tap, and run it off a CT transformer plus a small series tf on one side, so the 2 element sides get different votlage
etc etc. How do you want to do it?
NT
What a waste!
I'd have made a toaster that prints an image of the Virgin Mary. I'd have the believers lined up for a slice.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4034787.stm