replace water heater magnesium rod???

Do any of you replace these anodes and if so how often.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

disturbing the existing rod may lead to a leak where you must replace the tank. i only install a new tank and remove it when it fails, usually 10 years or more after install.

Reply to
bob haller

I've checked mine every few years. I think as long as you do it regularly starting when it's about 5 years old, there should not be any leak issue. So far, at 10 years have not had to replace it, but it's about time to check again and based on how it looked before, now could be the time. I think it could very well extend the life of the tank.

Reply to
trader4

It's all about the water chemistry.

I have NEVER replaced or checked an anode but typical SoCal water is hard enough to provide corrosion protection.

Water heater life spans at various SoCal Properties

1963 to 1980, 1980 to 2004 2004 to present

earlier than 1993 to 2005 (replaced at sale just to remove a sticking point)

If they are needed due to nature of your water, they are useful.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

yes, 5 years in the home. 2 seasons in the rv.

Reply to
Steve Barker

They are usually removed when the tonsils are removed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ashton Crusher wrote the following:

Never replaced an anode or even checked it. I have a well and a water softener that feeds the propane water heater. The first 40 gal. water heater was installed in 1986. It was an A.O.Smith. The tank was replaced in 2006 when it developed a leak. The current is a

40 gal. GE propane tank.
Reply to
willshak

That's nonsense. It's just a threaded connection or sometimes soldered. If it gets twisted too hard, yeah, it might cause leaks; just as with over-torquing any connection.

Reply to
Twayne