Have wasp spray ready when you open the flue

Last year when I opened the fireplace flue for the first time in winter, several wasps fell down into the fireplace. They started to liven up in the warmth of the house, so they had to be killed quickly.
This year I made sure the have spray on hand when I opened the flue, and it's a good thing I did since there were probably about 50 of them this time. They were numbed by the cold, but they quickly started buzzing their wings, trying to take off. I used about a half a can, but I managed to kill them all before any of them escaped the fireplace.
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/350/20101212waspsinthefirep.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/350/20101212waspsinthefirep.jpg
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/350/20101212waspsinthefirep.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/350/20101212waspsinthefirep.jpg
ShadowTek wrote:

Gadzooks, I'm glad you got 'em all! Still, I have to wonder if there isn't a way to "flush" them out of the chimney without spraying chemicals in your house.
Howzabout building a BIG pile of kindling/newspaper, something that will turn into a big flame very quickly, and then lighting it just before you open the flue? You might get a little smoke in the house (have windows open/fans going ahead of time), but if you time it right you should have a nice rush of hot flame to take care of them before they can figure it out.
Jon

That sound messy. If I really wanted to avoid using chemicals, I'd probably tape up a trash bag around the flue and handle, then open the flue, and bag them up and carry them out after they all fell out.
Or, do something like that, and *then* burn them really fast.
On 12/12/2010 3:47 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

That's what I'd do. Not sure there is much of a sting hazard with this type wasp and spray might come back at you since there is no updraft. I also have glass doors which would isolate anything from chimney.
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:47:00 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

If you're that paranoid of "chemicals", spray them with cheap hairspray or even soapy water.

With kerosene or without?

-C-
On Dec 12, 7:53pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Nope, it was the Cadillac of flue shots.
-C-
ShadowTek wrote:

Eek!
Buddy of mine, a private pilot, took his plane up in the late spring. At about 1,000 feet, he opened a vent.
Immediately the cockpit filled with nigh-on 17,000 Yellow Jackets from a nest in the cowling!
He said he held a door open, resolved that if the bugs weren't blown out, he'd jump.

I just get a fire ready, set it off, open the flue, and Mother Nature does its thing.
Steve