hanging curtains on soft walls

I have been trying to hang curtains in my daughters room and the walls are sooo soft they just fall down. The Screws just rip right out and leave a big nasty hole in the wall! I even tried using these little plasic things that you put in the wall first and then the screw. Then I have even a bigger holes. Any Ideas? Please Help.... Thanks, Nicole

Have you tried molly bolts the hold from the back side of the wall? They look like a letter ' T ' that can collapse and slip into a hole in the wall then they pop open and hold the item from the rear.
Of course if you have a wall that was badly patched or damaged by water you may need to consider 1. mounting the rod on the widow frame 2. locating the wall stud and anchor it there!
Molly's are available at any borg or ace hardware
HTH
Hank wrote:

I theenk you mean "toggle bolts", and yes, they will do the job even better than "Mollys", particularly if Hank has already made those "bigger and nastier holes" in the wall.
Mollys expand when you tighten their screws and leave a firmly mounted threaded insert in the wall which lets you remove the screw and replace it for stuff like wall painting.
With toggle bolts, if you have to remove the screw you lose the toggle down the inside of the wall and need to obtain a new one to refasten things with.
Capice?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Sounds like you need to get another set of eyes there. No offense meant, but you need someone to tell if the walls are the problem or the means of fastening, and how to go about doing it right.
Maybe a friend can be induced, for a beer or two?
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:38:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

Make it four beers and he won't know if the walls are soft either.
Didn't it used to be that all windows had a piece of wood 3x3 or 4x4 inches at the upper corners for mounting curtains?
Then you just use screws long enough (but not necesarily thicker) to go through the sheet rock and into the wood.
Is this still done in all, most construction done by professionals?
If there is wood back there, how does one know for sure? Electronic stud finder? Just by using a thin drill and seeing if sawdust comes out?

I had BIG problems here dogs would play on bed against window, rip down rods and bend rods.
finally hhad a buddy make up steel plates with 6 holes for each holder and flat steel bar acting as rod.
its been no problem ever since but the thing is so heavy if it did fall it would hurt or seriously injure me.
so i confoirm its secure occasionally.
the large plates give lots of space for toggles and a wood screw in what remains of the wood inside the wall

Better than teaching the stupid dogs to do the right thing. Zzzzzzzzzz...........

i wanted to move the bed wife disagreed....
cant do much aboiut dogs playing when no one is home

There's always a way to deal with dogs. http://tinyurl.com/2eczcw

whenever you leave the house. (said outside pen having plenty of room to bounce around, shelter/shade, and fresh water, of course.)
aem sends....
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:37:21 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I tried to teach dogs to hang curtains but they kept insisting on mini-blinds.

See? They're ignorant creatures. Mini-blinds have their place, but when the human says "curtains", it means curtains. My cat keeps whining about Roman shades. Another self-appointed expert.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:29:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

You're exactly right. But it was their doghouse so I really couldn't tell them how to decorate it.

They're full of ideas, but absent when you wanna go order the window treatments at JC Penney. Friggin' deadbeat animals.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/infanchor/infanchor.html
niki wrote:

Reminds me of a story. Lady lived in a apartment in NY and made friends with a single fellow in the same building. When she had a problem, she'd invite him over for dinner (bring your tool kit).
She'd think: "He's a miracle worker! He can put up a towel rack so it won't fall down and all I have to do is throw a couple more potatos in the pot. What a deal!"
He'd think: "She's a miracle worker! For a couple of thirty-five cent bolts I get a home-made rack-of-lamb dinner. What a deal!"
Then they'd have sex.

aem sends....
Dont even try. You can not hang anything on a soft dick, so you cant hang anything on soft walls either. Soft is soft !!!!! I'm sure you know all about being soft !!! Your wife told me all about it when I screwed her last Saturday night.

Those plastic things are about near worthless you want to use a toggle bolt. Here is a picture and directions on how to install.
http://lexkyweb.com/windows/installation_basics.html
The main menu is located at http://lexkyweb.com/windows /
This bunch was wild today. Usually this group is more helpful.
Colbyt