hanging things on garage walls

This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning to put the elephants on the shelves...

Reply to
Taz

Where are you going to put the elephants?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just keep them in the fridge like everyone else ;-)

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

what's a dingle course ? :D

Reply to
.

In the trunk.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Now, *that's* recursive!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well, they certainly won't thank you for it.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Hehe, that's actually a good example :-)

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

To try and be helpful, normal sorts of loads (ordinary toolboxs, cans of paint up to 5 litres) should be OK on single skin (are you talking blocks or bricks?) but if you want heavy (like, hard to lift up) stuff on 12 inch shelves I would be looking at floor standing shelves.

Reply to
Newshound

Ah-ha - a useful one! The walls are brick - should that make any difference?

And by the way, the elephants are stored in the shed at the bottom of the garden. Not that there's much top or middle left...

Reply to
Taz

Not on shelves?

That's the trouble with sheds, they breed.

Now, to answer your question and avoid upsetting any sensitive soul who might be peeking, floor standing shelves are probably the best solution but you could consider the long vertical metal strips which attach to walls and spread the load of shelf brackets which acn be fixed at intervals to suit your needs. Floor space is usually at a premium after all, which is why we need shelves.

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how many shelves he has :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

where you learn to dangle?

Reply to
DJC

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:14:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

To expand on that 'girly' description a little, probably the 'best' stuff was 'Spur shelving' but you can get a cheaper / lighter version called 'Element 32'.

with Spur you get slotted uprights you screw to the wall then the pressed steel brackets (various lengths) then 'drop' into the slots.

If you look about you should be able to buy the stuff at a shop fitter / trade supplier *much* cheaper than the sheds. It's still not *cheap* though but has the following advantages over many alternatives.

1) It's pretty easy to put up (drill some holes, plug, screw, done) 2) The uprights spread the load over a large area (as Mary mentioned). Handy if you don't get a good fixing at every location. 3) Are very flexible re bracket length > shelf depth and position. 4) You can take them down / move them about etc 5) You can easily take them with you when you move ;-)

When I built my 10' x 20' x 8(h)' garage / workshop I lined the inside with 12mm WBP ply and then fitted the above system floor to eves around all 3 walls. This means I can put a shelf / bracket pretty well anywhere ;-)

Indeed ;-)

Ah, that's because we want to look after our stuff and if it's on the floor it can't fall down and break! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Perhaps some brightly coloured plastic tubs would encourage him to put his toys away at bedtime :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It was intended to be clear to someone who might not know the terminology. It obviously was successful - as most girly things tend to be :-)

And you can use more than two for each rack of shelves - that can be very useful when accommodating elephants.

No, he says it's because he knows where it is and it's to hand.

My (serious) concern is that it is an obstruction if he needs to get out quickly. Goodness knows what H&S would say :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Unless the shelf is only about 500mm long (and assuming it's made of conventional materials) you *should* use more than two for each shelf.

I thought we agreed the elephants stay in the fridge (where they belong). As if anyone would keep them in the garage .

Knowing you as I do there's only one reason he would want to get out quickly ...

*You* would get a stern telling off for creating the risk situation (the stuff and spouse were quite happy where they were at the time after all)?

All the best .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

That needed to be said.

Sorry

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

But I can make him even happier :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hold me back, someone... T i m ?????????

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher