Goo-Gone substitute(s)

Page 1 of 3

Something ordinarily in one's entourage of household chemicals? Label stuck on plastic is the target.
Suggestions?
On 7/30/2010 7:06 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Paint thinner, gasoline or lighter fluid works for me.
MikeB
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:08:56 -0400, BQ340 wrote:

Let's see,,, ah yes I did say "on plastic."

wd40
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:19:02 -0700, jamesgangnc wrote:

Don't have any. Do have some PB Blaster though. And I recall some labels in the past that WD didn't work to well on.

PB might work,shouldn't hurt the "decorative" plastic.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, you did. What's the problem?
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:19:11 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

My problem is that all three can damage decorative plastic.
Now what's your problem, only got part of a brain?

Baloney. Specify exactly what plastics can be damaged.

More than you, obviously. You've clearly chosen your nickname well. Come back when you've sobered up.

"decorative plastic" says nothing. Perhaps you mean styrene-based plastic?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 7/30/2010 7:11 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

All 3 come in plastic cans, so what is the problem? What type of plastic do you have?
MikeB
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:20:36 -0400, BQ340 wrote:

Not chemical resistant plastic.
Thanks for the troll attempt, now move along.
On 7/30/2010 7:24 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Special situations will require more detail on your part for a solution that will be acceptable- or are yo going to keep us guessing?
MikeB
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:26:52 -0400, BQ340 wrote:

Let's see more detail. Hmmmm OK. A paper, adhesive-backed label on the decorative trim of a home computer. There. Now let me go get that paint thinner. Maybe I can just melt the plastic and label off.
On 7/30/2010 7:29 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

If it is solid color plastic (not painted) paint thinner should be ok, but you can alternatively try low heat like a hair dryer & pull slowly.
MikeB
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Paint thinner (aka Varsol) has never in my experience harmed plastic in any way. It's the best shot you've got at removing the label and residue without harming the finish on the plastic (assuming it's black, ultra smooth and glossy). You might also try alcohol (rubbing, isopropyl, denatured, etc).

I've had good luck with paint thinner, too. It doesn't work that fast, but it doesn't melt everything, either.
Steve

Jeff, I got hundreds of those little squares that have alcohol on them. In a packet like a one time use for giving yourself an injection. Diabetics use them. I have used them to get a lot of sticky stuff off. They take off the glue left over from IV tape. It takes some rubbing sometimes, but the plastic, or whatever substrate seems unaffected, only the goo gets melted, and that slowly. So, for me, those work, only slowly. It may take you more than one. Or two. Or three. Or four. But that's what you want. Something weak and easy on the substrate. If you can't find the patches, get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol, and some cotton pads, or just use a small scrap of cotton rag.
Steve
WD-40 and fingernails. What I'd try.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Coat the label with a thin layer of peanut butter (smooth not chunky). Allow it to set for a couple hours as the paper will absorb oil from the PB. Try it.